Ginger's kidding thread

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your babies are adorable! :love

I don't want to worry you, but are your babies back legs straightish? It almost looks like "tippy toeing". A couple pics kind of look like it to me....Any more experienced goat persons see what I think I see?????

I was thinking a selenium issue if they are....

I wanted to mention it just in case.... :hide If I am wrong thats great!

Our first babies were selenium deficient at birth and the joints bent the wrong way. Selenium injections fixed them right up....

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ragdollcatlady said:
Your babies are adorable! :love

I don't want to worry you, but are your babies back legs straightish? It almost looks like "tippy toeing". A couple pics kind of look like it to me....Any more experienced goat persons see what I think I see?????

I was thinking a selenium issue if they are....

I wanted to mention it just in case.... :hide If I am wrong thats great!

Our first babies were selenium deficient at birth and the joints bent the wrong way. Selenium injections fixed them right up....
Hum.... Since these are my first goats I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. What would you do? I don't think Ginger was getting any extra minerals in her diet until I got her, which was about 6 weeks ago. Our area is deficient in selenium. Not sure if the loose minerals has enough in it or not. Should I take them to the vet to get them looked at? I would appreciate advice here and will be willing to do whatever it takes to help them if they need it. Thanks for the input.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not an expert...

I only have the experience of my twin doelings having the issue last year....I knew that we are in a selenium deficient area and so I gave extra selenium/E gel every month and right before and after kidding, but they were still deficient. Once they got the injectable from the vet...their legs became sturdier and had a lot more shape to them....Sorry I am not sure how to really describe it...I took them to the vet and he gave me a prescription of BoSe for the whole herd.

I just wanted to mention it just in case...

Maybe some of the experts can give us their opinion????

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ragdollcatlady said:
I am not an expert...

I only have the experience of my twin doelings having the issue last year....I knew that we are in a selenium deficient area and so I gave extra selenium/E gel every month and right before and after kidding, but they were still deficient. Once they got the injectable from the vet...their legs became sturdier and had a lot more shape to them....Sorry I am not sure how to really describe it...I took them to the vet and he gave me a prescription of BoSe for the whole herd.

I just wanted to mention it just in case...

Maybe some of the experts can give us their opinion????
I'm planning on calling our vet this morning and asking them what I should do. Hate to drag those little babies into the vet, because it also means I've got to take Ginger, too, because she won't stand for us to take them without her, and I know that for sure. She needs to be looked at too.

I believe you are right about the deficiency. I've done a little research on the net and it does seem that they are not quite right in their behavior at this point and it points to a selenium deficiency. They aren't up and about much and I've seen Edna choke a few times when she nurses, all signs of a selenium deficiency.

I really, really appreciate your seeing this, because this is something I wouldn't have known about, since these are my first kids. So thankful I have this site to draw on the knowledge of experienced goat people. We are completely smitten with these goats and we want them to be happy and healthy. We owe everyone a debt that we won't be able to repay for helping us with our goats! Thanks so very, very much!

I will let you know what the vet says about them once I take them in this morning.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I don't think you have anything to worry about with a selenium deficiency. They would be weak, wobbly, having a hard time moving about.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, like any mother, I worried about the babies all night and promptly took them to the vet this morning. They do have a little bit of a selenium deficiency and so does Ginger. The vet checked them all out and gave each of them a shot of selenium with some extra antibiotic for Ginger for good measure after the kidding. He thought they were a little stiff-legged, from deficiency, but not bad. He felt like they will be much better by Monday. He's a really reasonable vet and talked with me a long time about goats and didn't tell me to much more than I already knew or learned from this site. He only charged me $50 and some change for the time and the shots, which I felt was really reasonable. Also asked him about bringing in dropping samples of Ginger and Trixie in a couple of weeks for testing for parasites and he will be willing to test for that and give us something if need be. Whew, so glad I did that, and now my mind can be at ease about the goats! Thanks for helping me out with this everyone! I really appreciate it! :love

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Madcow, are you sure y'all are selenium deficient...My vet said we were good in my area and wouldn't prescribe BoSe, said we didn't need it.......And most of Texas is good on selenium..there are parts that are deficient and maybe y'all are in one of those areas...I'd definitely ask your vet though..

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bigmike said:
Madcow, are you sure y'all are selenium deficient...My vet said we were good in my area and wouldn't prescribe BoSe, said we didn't need it.......And most of Texas is good on selenium..there are parts that are deficient and maybe y'all are in one of those areas...I'd definitely ask your vet though..
Yeah, our area is low in selenium, from checking on the map that shows the mineral counts. They are good now, and that's what the vet thought was the problem. Thanks for the concern.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it is totally awesome that people noticed something with your kid's legs...you checked it out promptly...problem taken care of ....wow...Backyard Herdies totally ROCK!!! :thumbsup

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
I think it is totally awesome that people noticed something with your kid's legs...you checked it out promptly...problem taken care of ....wow...Backyard Herdies totally ROCK!!! :thumbsup
Yes it is awesome that someone was able to see something I would not have had any idea to notice! I think it's just great to have such a valuable resource available to all goat lovers! People helping people helping their animals! I can't do this without you guys, and I wouldn't want to! BYH do totally ROCK!! :bow :clap