Goats/Sheep?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hairless sheep! :lol: I’m guessing you meant Hair Sheep. Reminds me of the time my kids and I wanted to see pictures of hairless cats. For fun we typed skinless cats instead. Mr. Google knew what we meant though and brought up the hairless cat photos.

I’m sure the meat and goat people will be along in the morning to help you out. It will make it easier if you have specific questions to ask them. In the meantime, if you go to the goat and sheep areas of the forum, you will find lots of good reading material to start with.

Where are you from? If you add your general location to your profile it will help people know what kind of climate you are dealing with.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I researched goats and sheep some 12-13 years ago right here on BYH. I read the forums on goats, then the forums on sheep. It was then that I discovered hair sheep. I read up on hair sheep and that’s ultimately what I went with. I’ve had hair sheep for 9 years in October. I suggest that you research goats and sheep, ask questions and learn all you can before making your decision.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Meat goat...Boer is my fav. Better forage conversion, excellent meat/bone ratio. They love the hot climates.

Katahdin for hair sheep. I have no sheep but this would be my pick.

Where you live makes a difference in what does well. The meat goats are primarily desert bred animals originally. In many of our climes, worms are a constant concern. Moisture and food choices. Goats love browse, weed and are not the "grazers" that sheep & cattle are. With all, plenty of rotation is needed unless you can dry lot. Expensive then.

So what are your wants for numbers and use? 5 head is way different than 50 for their health & needs. Give us some info as to what you have to work with & we can be more helpful. Ahhh, fences!!! A whole different requirement.

Last edited: