Good Goat gone bad ???? I'm new to this.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Because he is a buck.

They are controlled by their hormones and can be unpredictable. Some instinct told him to do it, who knows what his goat programming is. He may have seen you as a threat or a possible mate. Either way it is just hormones and instinct.

LollingontheFarm

Just born
Reaction score
hmmmmm Well I've moved him to the calf pen where he will share the area with our new calf who loves the goats. Max will not be happy with this but my legs hurt where he repeatedly rammed me yesterday.
Thank God he is polled and I didn't have to deal with horns too!!
I sold his father off asap b/c he was extremely aggessive from the get go. Beautiful babies nice to the does but mean to the rest of us.
The man who bought him had a large herd of free ranging does. Drove a pickup truck 2 hrs to get him, loaded him in the front seat with him, and drove away feeding him cookies. Mind you this goat had a HUGE rack on him and was MEAN to the BONE!
I was afraid to watch the news that night as I was sure they would have a horrible traffic incident with a goat mentioned. lol
Thanks

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
Because he is a buck.

They are controlled by their hormones and can be unpredictable. Some instinct told him to do it, who knows what his goat programming is. He may have seen you as a threat or a possible mate. Either way it is just hormones and instinct.
AGREE 100%. We often times put human feelings into our goats. Never forget they are goats...and you must think like a goat when tending to them. Bucks in Rutt especially!!!

You must completely understand his instinctual behavoir and what he's trying to achieve during his rutt season. It is up to us as owners to understand their behavoir. Humans are the last thing on this mind right now!!! :lol: I cant carry enough raisins to distract him!!! :gig

Bucks are not easy as pets. They serve a purpose and that is to breed your does. They can be wonderful animals and I adore mine. But when he's in rutt...I tend to him with kid gloves! We spent alot of time together and he repects me...I would NOT hit him or hurt him...IMO..that just causes agressive behavoir to escalate. He will then think of you more of a threat and will defend himself and his herd. And he can seriously hurt you if he really wanted to.

If you wanna keep him...get him working and keep a wether with him in another pen as company. And most of the year he will be a joy. But if your gonna let him be a buck..respect him for what he is and wait it out.

But I did'nt like getting peed on either my first time!!! I dont ever think Id wanna go out with a guy like that!! Not too charming !!! But the does love it!!!! :lol:

But my best advice is..is to understand him for who is in the goat herd and what he's trying to do. He has a purpose and its very difficult for us as humans to change or speculate on what these hormonal and instinctive behavoir mean all the time.

So love him for who he is and give him boundries...or get em wethered!! The choice is yours. It all comes down to what you want out of him and what you can tolerate.

Good luck!!!

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Headbutting is never an aceptable play behavoir with humans. IMO. Never Never encourage it when they are babies. Although its adorable..it is never a good thing.

When my buck starting butting me when young. I would walk away and not encourage it. Once as I walked away he ran up behind me and butted me. So then I climbed over his back sat on him lightly and pulled his front legs down and kept him down for a few mins. None of my goats ever butt me...its marvelous!!! I wont have it!!! Im the goat boss and they all know it!!!

This is submission for him. Did'nt hurt him..just his pride!! LOL But I just showed him I was the boss. And thats whats important. You cannot let them run amuck you must show them boundries. Becuase they are goats!! And they will push and push and push and see how long we go until we snapp!!!! :lol: Just like a 3 year old!!! :lol:

But good luck...I think if you understand him and work with him..he will be fine...but its up to you...

txhomegrown

Just born
Reaction score
You can't show any fear. They sense it and use it too! Like the old guy with the "bad" buck in the front seat, the goat could feel that the old guy wasn't going to take any crap and was happy eating cookies and going for a ride.
And climbing on top and showing who is boss, I have used it with mean dogs and it works. You have to be careful though, because every now and then you will find one that is a little badder than you. OUCH!

WARNING!!!

Do not try this method with wolves, wildcats or professional wrestlers.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
txhomegrown said:
WARNING!!!

Do not try this method with wolves, wildcats or professional wrestlers.
:lol::gig:lol: Love it!!! Heed the warning!!!

Its not always easy being the goat boss!!! :lol:

Just remember with bucks!! "No pain, No gain" :lol::gig

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Reading all your storeis really makes me appreciate my bucks! :lol: The only reason I try to avoid them during rut is b/c they're still big babies and want to love on me and get pet...then I have to go take a shower to get the smell off. :rolleyes:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Makes me really appreciate my buck, Speedy!

Worst I get from him during rut is occasionally being peed on and being "spoken" too with his wup wup wuuuuppp... :gig

When he starts that with me, I just look and him and say "Sorry I'm not one of your girls" and leave the pen ;)

But I agree either wait out rut or castrate him.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like my buck. His is VERY tall but he is such a momma's boy!!! I didn't even raise him. He is about a year and a half old but he doesn't act aggressive at all even when in rutt! At least not yet. Hopefully he will stay mild-mannered.