Good Morning!--Chat thread

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
so your replanting an alalfa field.
No. It's mainly clover here. Sometimes timothy mixed in. Once in a while part of a field will be high enough for alalfa but usually this ground is to wet for alalfa.

You also don't want to replant into an old alalfa or clover field due to autotoxicity. We plant corn or soybeans inbetween around here.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i see im learning something new.i didnt know you could plant clover this late an get a cutting or 2 of hay off it.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
i see im learning something new.i didnt know you could plant clover this late an get a cutting or 2 of hay off it.
:lol: Late? Here the frost is still in the ground or it's way to wet to get on. If direct seeded (without cover crop) then they can get a couple cuttings (if everything goes right)off. We seed with a cover crop so the cover crop is all we usually take off the first year.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
we plant clover here is oct or nov.an if its in the hay meadows.we can get 1 or 2 cuttings of clover.an then the clover is gone.here winter grasses can be cut mid april.an then again in mid may 1st of june.then anything after that is coastal.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You forget our growing season is short. May to September IF we are lucky. Some years it's shorter.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here I am with the dough for the pastry twists for tomorrow made up and look out the window. DH and Kute Kitten are getting the small pasture ready to move heifers into? Now wait one minute! I have not been consulted and as I'm the one who does the bulk of those chores I get the biggest say in what's going on with them! So, I go out to see what's up. They intend to move Winter, after dehorning her, into the small pasture all by herself. The poor girl, with all those bull calves she's alone in her group. Then he's going to clean out the pens and get them ready to move the calves out of the barn! :bun I can agree to this plan but, said Timothy gets a hutch and Picture stays in her's. He agreed. So hopefully, calves will get straightened out. Of course, that will fill our calf housing and we have the two heifers due yet this month--anytime already! :rolleyes:

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
sounds like that prob solved itsself.how meny bull calves do you have now.sounds like you need to buy some more hutches.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
sounds like that prob solved itsself.how meny bull calves do you have now.sounds like you need to buy some more hutches.
No bull calves right now. No more hutches. If we do anything more it will probably be pens. Like the ones in this thread.

The problem may have solved itself this time but, he has a tendency to do things the way he wants them and when I'm the one out there doing the chores I want them setup for me. Strange, I know, but that's the way it is. :gig

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
no its not strange.im the same way around here.i set things up for me an the way i do things.an if some1 else does something.i usually have to rework things to suit me.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's my point.

Hutches and pens are all cleaned, limed, bedded, put back together, and calves moved in! Now, it's time to go for supper.

Latest posts