Grass, Weeds and Forbs-Picture I.D.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I disagreed with Apple plant I D and found this.

IMG_4629.jpeg

My sheep LOVE this stuff! It is a cool weather plant here. It disappears in hot weather.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well hemlock & queen Anne's lace look very much alike...from afar. Check this out as queen Anne is ok.☺️

Thx!! I thought they looked a lot alike and was wondering if they were the same. Of course I didn't ask Google, just wondered. Now I know!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Plant ID calls this Ground Cherry and Tomatillos. Member of the nightshade family it is a toxic plant. I’ve always called them Chinese Lantern and an undesirable weed.

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4739.jpeg

IMG_4750.png

IMG_4749.png

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
SOME are edible. Well that tells me nothing. Not going to eat one to find out.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, Ms Siri (aka The Girlfriend) is flat out wrong - those definitely are Chinese Lanterns. Tomatillos that certainly is not! Tomatillos are in a husk and about the size of a small tomato and make great salsa! There's also a thing called a Golden Berry (I forget what else it's called) that tastes sort of like a raspberry without all the seeds. I've grown both - but I bought the plants at a nursery.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spotted Spurge Euphorbia maculata -
my first check on this plant the ap said it was common knot grass. Such is not the case, it is spurge, a type of euphorbia (most or all euphorbias have milky sap that is an irritant. ~some research is being done using it as a cure for various skin cancers (UC IPM - Univ. Cal Integrated Pest Management). Also from UCIPM it is poisonous and can kill sheep <GASP> - when consuming as little as .62% of their body weight. It also attracts ants - which I have seen in the garden. Good news - it's easy to pull up. Bad news - sheep seem to like it.
spotted spurge.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thorn-Apple, Jimsonweed Devil's Trumpet, Moon Flower - Datura stramonium - vespertine
Highly poisonous and belongs to the nightshade family. A known hallucinogenic, reportedly used by American Indians.
Good news - sheep stay away, and it stinks
thornapple.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Castor Bean, castor oil - Ricinus communis
This is in the euphorbiaceae family -- spurge family. The seeds are highly poisonous - ricin bad news.
More bad news - a quick web search has growing and care guides for this monster! It has a huge spike of pretty flowers, each with big seeds.
ricinus.jpg