Heaven Creek Farms Goat & Sheep pregnancy journey

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Around here that is definitely a threat. We don't have foxes, but we do have coyotes. Unless you have a livestock guardian dog they are definitely something to be concerned about. Coyotes will, and DO take out adult sheep as well. Pellet guns can be a good deterrent. Secure night housing is a must around here. Though not on this ranch, I have lost many sheep (and chickens) to coyotes who will jump over OR dig under fencing.

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Around here that is definitely a threat. We don't have foxes, but we do have coyotes. Unless you have a livestock guardian dog they are definitely something to be concerned about. Coyotes will, and DO take out adult sheep as well. Pellet guns can be a good deterrent. Secure night housing is a must around here. Though not on this ranch, I have lost many sheep (and chickens) to coyotes who will jump over OR dig under fencing.
Thank you for that horrifying image

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you have a predator buffet. Goats are a prey animal and cannot protect themselves much less sheep. The smells of birthing will ring the dinner bell for predators. Bobcats especially. Silent, can leap fences, snatch a lamb, leap out and not leave a trace they were ever there.

There are so many coyotes here that if I didn’t have my dogs, I would have no sheep.

Don’t run out and get a donkey, they are just as likely to bite, pick up and throw and stomp your goats and sheep as any other predator. Plus when an apex predator shows up, they run faster than the other livestock. Devil take the hindmost!

Please give us a detailed description of your pens, fencing and barn/shed if you have one. We can give descriptions of how to augment it for better protection. And how many acres, any other details you can think of.

If you decide to get a LGD, we can advise you on that too.

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, you have a predator buffet. Goats are a prey animal and cannot protect themselves much less sheep. The smells of birthing will ring the dinner bell for predators. Bobcats especially. Silent, can leap fences, snatch a lamb, leap out and not leave a trace they were ever there.

There are so many coyotes here that if I didn’t have my dogs, I would have no sheep.

Don’t run out and get a donkey, they are just as likely to bite, pick up and throw and stomp your goats and sheep as any other predator. Plus when an apex predator shows up, they run faster than the other livestock. Devil take the hindmost!

Please give us a detailed description of your pens, fencing and barn/shed if you have one. We can give descriptions of how to augment it for better protection. And how many acres, any other details you can think of.

If you decide to get a LGD, we can advise you on that too.
Thank you for this info! we do have a inside pen I could use and we know to get rid of the afterbirth in the woods and so far after 12 years we have had no losses with our pygmy's yet but I did see something on coyotes hunting lambs on a show yesterday.We have an Australian shepherd but she lives inside she does chase our fox though.We haven't seen any bobcats down here (we are in Southern yourk county Pennsylvania) I will take pics of our pens we have a winter birthing one and a summer outdoor pen

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
so our fence is 4 1/2 ft high we have 480 sqft we have double fencing which has 1ft holes reinforced with fencing that is 1inch wide 2inch tall holes I don't think a coyote could dig under the fencing because there is soo much grass under it even the weed whacker can't get through

Our inside pen is 300 sqft and the walls go up to the ceiling (it is in the barn) the door is wood like the walls and it has a 1 1/2 ft gap at the top but the door is 6ft high and the walls are 7 1/2 ft high
we also have horse stalls if we need them since we had a few losses this year(1sold 1 put down) so we have 2 stalls we could use if needed we also have a run under in the goat pen that has a gate that we can close
also the wire isnt electric it is just tight

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here are the inside pens

IMG_1707.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1709.jpg
IMG_1710.jpg
IMG_1711.jpg