High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I don't have cats, it's a moot point.
That's known as a rationalization .....for behavior you have already said you disapprove of, but I understand where you're coming from.¹ In earlier times, the equivalent would be "It's not my ox being gored" which means that any given event will be seen differently , depending on the degree to which the viewer's self-interest is involved.
The cats undoubtedly see it :eek: much differently.

¹as do the squirrels around here.

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't see the cats coming onto her property and the dog taking them out any different than, say, trapping beavers that come on the property and cause issues.

Um, does that work with ovaries?

I wanted to say sometimes women have a bigger set then men do, but I think thats a given. Old saying goes, if you want it done, ask a man. If you want it done right, ask a woman. And, yes, it also applies to ovaries.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So we’re back and it’s been fun to see all your responses. I grew up in a house hold that loved animals. Mom was a dog groomer and we had every kind of critter known to man. Our dog Molly slept by my brother for 14 years and even had her own chair in her old age. My wife’s family had one dog for a few years until her sister moved out and took him with her. My wife has a hard time visiting my parents home because my mom still had dogs inside, and of course there’s dog hair and everything else but she doesn’t complain to my mom because it’s not her house. At our home my girls spend most of their time outside and rarely if ever do they come in. Cats on the other hand are never invited and only once when my daughter smuggled one in. I barely feed what cats that are on my place as I don’t want to encourage more strays to find a home in my garage. Their purpose is to hunt varmints and that can be their dinner too. If they don’t catch enough, they can go bug my neighbor he’s got cats and cat food galore. About a mile away we have the crazy cat lady, she had over 50 in her home at one point. She also sets out tons of food every evening to feed the many strays that live in the hay fields. Of course it also brings tons of skunks but her response is that they need to eat too! And she will throw a fit if she catches anyone shooting her skunks. Some people are nuts

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't see the cats coming onto her property and the dog taking them out any different than, say, trapping beavers that come on the property and cause issue.
Perhaps you do not, but she has already stated she did not want the dog to kill the cats.

Or perhaps you are saying I 'need training' to make me stop killing them?
I don't particularly want to kill the beaver either and would be perfectly content to leave them be except for their burrowing and other activities that are currently flooding several acres of pasture and making it difficult to access parts of my property. I do in fact, choose to leave them alone most of the year, but once they begin to cause problems, I have to act. I do not kill them (or anything else) simply because they exist and and/or happen to be on my property.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or perhaps you are saying I 'need training' to make me stop killing them?
Nope, not at all. Meant only that you are dealing with things that cause you grief and the dog is doing the same. Not that we understand just what sort of grief the dog gets from the cats.

I feel the same way about the 'chucks as you do about the beavers. If they weren't doing damage, I wouldn't care if they hung around. Seems like their favorite food is broad leaf weeds, nothing wrong with them taking those out!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope, not at all. Meant only that you are dealing with things that cause you grief and the dog is doing the same. Not that we understand just what sort of grief the dog gets from the cats.

We've been here 3 1/2 years and Paris has killed one cat, the first night we had her here. Turned out to be a stray that neighbors hated, so problem solved. Out of thousands of acres around here, that dumb cat had to come in HER backyard. Very few people here have cats and the strays that get dumped wind up as coyote snacks. No cat hoarders around here, the dog is happy, I'm happy and cats are for coyotes.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feral cats here usually deal with the coyotes easily enough. Coyotes can't climb and cats can scale up just about anything and there's 100s of thousands of 'anythings' around.. Goin to and returning from town, I see feral cats walking along the edge of the national forest almost nightly. Some of the same ones, I've seen for years.
Bobcats, owls and hawks are a different story. They can all kill even a big feral cat real quick whether up in a tree or not.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There are loads of feral cats in our area, people have a kitten, think it’s cute, then take it out to the country as a cat because now it’s not cute and surely all these farm folk can use a cat. Or 2. Or 30. I thought we were done with cats after our kitten fiasco but I was wrong. We got two kittens back in 2016 that my son named skittles and tickles...I laughed and couldn’t tell him that those were stripper names but I digress. Those two went everywhere together, they were litter mates from a feral cat on my friends place (he wanted to share the wealth). The night after Millie was born I picked the kids up from a friends after a long night in the hospital and as I was pulling into the garage one of those stupid kittens ran right underneath my tire. My son was mortified to get out of the car to see one of his kittens flopping around and wanted to know where the other one was as they were always together. Good question. So I got the kids in the house and started looking everywhere for that stupid kitten, and I can’t find it anywhere. The idea comes to my head “you know, you’ve looked everywhere but the dog run.” Well why would I look there, the kitten wouldn’t be dumb enough to go to the dog run. But I walk over with the flashlight and there’s the dead kitten, smack in the middle of the run. Great. So I told my boy I couldn’t find it and a coyote must’ve gotten it. And we were cat free for a year