Honaker Farm Kidding Watch: Daisy - KIDDED pg 19

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Does her vulva suck in while she's doing this?
She's held her tail down every time that I've seen her do it, so I don't know. She flips out when I lift her tail to check her vulva for any reason. I'll try to get a better look. Or even some video of it.

eta: the vet said sounded like contractions. they don't make farm calls very often, you generally have to haul the animal in to them. and I don't want to stress her out with a trip to the vet when she's not in distress.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
If her tail's down, it's probably not a contraction. She's probably doing positioning stretches/braxton hicks.

:fl I HOPE anyway.

I've had does with nasty dystocias who fail to progress...but it's also obvious they're in labor...doing the real, butt tucking tail up contractions, then laying down and giving up...then trying again...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

I was just reading an article on goat obstetrics and they say that goats have 3 stages of labor. It seems that Daisy is in the first stage (maybe) and that it can last 24-36 hours. So, if that's the case she should move to stage 2 labor (active labor) by tomorrow morning (say around 9:30 am at the latest).

Behaviors during first stage labor
Teeth grinding (discomfort)
Breathing faster than usual
Avoids eating and/or drinking
Vocalizes more or less than usual
Stands or walks more or less than usual
Avoids other goats Suddenly more friendly or standoffish
Paws at the ground
Lies down and rises frequently
Licks or bites at her sides
Looks behind her
The only sign I haven't noticed is teeth grinding in Daisy. And she does eat and drink but not in her normal "it's all mine" fashion.

This is what I've been reading tonight:
http://kinne.net/ob1.htm

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She sounds like she is doing exactly the same thing as my Gracee. Gracee's been at it for a week off and on. Tonight she's chewing cud, but not eating hay or grain, drinking lots of water though, doesn't want to lay down, grunting, hunching, stretching and arching her back...oh, and she thinks she is my mom apparently, she wants me to sit in the pen so she can lick me and gets whiney if I leave.

These goats are going to make us crazy.

Latest posts