How long have you owned goats?

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
About 15 yrs ago, then I sold them because I went through a divorce and everyone thought it was not a good thing. Maybe at that time, it was a good thing, they needed more than just feed and water. But it didn't take long, life is not life without goats--when I moved into my little mobile home, we were fixing it up and my brother airbrushed a Nubian goat on my cupboard doors so I could look at goats even if they weren't real. LOL So I guess I have had real goats for about 13 or 14 yrs. I didn't know anything about milking when I started, but jumped in full force and for a few years milked at least 12 goats year around. Now we are breeding for year around milking again, but now I have help :D Milking year around 2 times a day is a real commitment. We are going to stay at about 10 to 12 milkers, no more than 15. We pull kids so that is more commitment. Next to my grandchildren, my goats are my life :D--my children are all old enough to do their own thing. ;).

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just me again or those that ask about getting goats jsut so they can make and sell soap :rolleyes: until I tell them how much work it is--then they say oh, do you have to do this and that --umm yes--- when I ask where they are getting a buck to bred them to--uh what?? yes a buck--why do I need to think about that? because you need to breed the does to have kids so you can milk the does for the milk to make soap. ohh. How often to I need to milk the goats--best is 2 times a day at the same time each day---oh--every day? yes every day. ohh. One really does need to worm them and give them shots, trim hooves--ohh, that sounds like a lot of work. they eat junk and garbage right? um no--they need good browse or if in a pen good hay and milkers should have feed-so I would have to buy this? yes unless you have enough acreage and fencing to let them eat and access to your own oats,etc. OHH sounds expensive. No not really, we drink the milk, make soap and will be making cheese with the excess, sell kids for hay money etc. Your drink the milk???? ahhh yes.
people jsut don't get it :rolleyes:

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had goats for a few years (around three) when I was much younger. I didn't want to get rid of them, but a neighbor complained about the escapes. My father wouldn't put up a goat proof fence (I wasn't as attractive as landscape fencing) so we gave up on trying to keep them contained. They became free-range goats, and that worked fine until the neighbor complained, then they went to auction.

I've been waiting all of my adult life to get back into goats, but was always intimidated by how difficult it seemed to be to contain them. My husband loved my goat stories from my childhood, and really wanted goats too. I told him "if you want goats you'd better build good goat fence!" He did, and we have no problems keeping them contained!

I've only had my goats three months and plan on staying with it for a long time. Ours are just pets, we don't intend on making a dime off of them. They are very spoiled and we just love having them around and playing with them. They think we are goats too!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ha! Ha! Ha! That's great crazygoatlady! I get the same reactions from people too. I don't breed my goats, or don't plan on it anytime soon, and people ask me all the time "Do you milk your goats?" When I tell them no, we haven't bred our does. They want to know "Why would you have to breed them??"

People really just don't get it!

I had a lady ask me once if my mother hen NURSES HER CHICKS?!?!

I had a man who was shocked that my hen hatched 10 chicks! He couldn't believe all of those babies came from one hen, like she was Octomom or something! He didn't seem to understand that she just sat on a nest of 10 eggs, she didn't carry ten babies in her womb!

People are utterly clueless some times.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
My best friend (genius IQ, I kid you not) asked me, when she saw my broody hen's six new fluffballs, "Did you know she was pregnant?" :lol: :gig

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of people out there who honestly don't know where food really comes from. Walmart, right? :lol:

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, freemotion, that is hilarious! LMAO!:lol::gig
A pregnant chicken.

I would say the majority of the stupid questions I hear are typically about the chickens. (and from intelligent people too) I don't understand why either? I mean they are not mammals. Didn't we learn the difference between mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, when we were in elementary school?

I get asked a lot about store bought eggs and "am I eating a baby chicken?" "No, they are not fertile." and then that opens up a whole sex education conversation.:th

I haven't been asked too many strange questions about the goats yet, but I guess its too soon, I've only had them a few months, I'll give it time.