How long have you owned goats?

JestersEye

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We got two pygmy goats for our boys to show in the 4-H, about four years ago. (I grew up with chickens and ponies and wanted them to have some "farmyard" experience, also.) We got two black wethers from two different breeders in PA, and named them HyJinx and BlackJack.

Unfortunately, we lost BlackJack to Urinary Calculi when he was only 7 months old, so we had to get a new herdmate for HyJinx. After one failed attempt at a replacement (the new wether died after owning him for only two weeks, probably due to Coccidiosis), we finally succeeded in finding him a new pal, which we named Gambit.

We love owning wethers because they make such great pets! Ours get along with all of our other animals... I swear they actually think they're dogs, too! They come running up to the fence to greet us when our car pulls in the driveway, and we've even seen HyJinx carrying a stick in his mouth. We got a horse and chickens about a year ago, and the goats didn't bat an eye about sharing the yard with the new arrivals. In fact, they're as happy as can be to have more food to try to steal!

They have recently escaped a few times, but luckily the neighbors have been great about the curious critters when they go visiting. They do like to push against the fencing, either to scratch themselves or to test their limits, not sure which. HyJinx is the real character, and he seeks out attention from people. He's a bit of a nibbler, and comes over on his own; while Gambit shies away somewhat. I think the breeders must have handled 'Jinx more as a baby than Gambit's breeders did. They are really funny to watch when they play together, sometimes! :D

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We got our first two bottle babies on May 30th this year. We are SO in love with these adorable creatures! I want more, but DH thinks two are plenty for now.

I'd love to get some alpacas as well. Can you house goats and alpacas together?

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have had our new baby goats four days now!
They are so adorable, we had no idea we would like them this much. I had no idea goats are so friendly and funny little creatures.
I'm obviously here to learn! Our goats are nubian/nigerian/pygmy crosses, two doelings and a wether, all four months old.
Having fun!

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is the 4th day we've had our goaties, too. How could I already feel so attached to them after only 4 days?

Our girls are all mini-nubians and have the best little personalities. We are looking forward to breeding/kidding/milking/cheese and soap making. I honestly had no idea we would love them so much!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Some people say you can house goats and alpacas together and some say you can't. I think it will depend on the goats and alpacas. I would only put gelded males together. You definitely don't want hormones involved. The one thing you would have to look out for is lice. supposedly goats pick it up very easily and then they would pass it on to the alpacas. If the alpaca's fleece is full of lice, then it is no good to use.

If the goats ram the alpacas hard enough, they could hurt them. But I have been on other sites and people do put them together and have no problems.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've only heard that lice are species specific. I don't know how that applies to alpacas though, they are not really native now are they?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
No they aren't native but they are more and more Americanized. I'm not sure about the lice but alpacas can get diseases that other ruminants can get. They can get CAE, CL and Johnes diseases from goats and anything that is airborne.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Lice are species specific, goat lice is not people lice etc. I have a llama in with two of my baby bucks, and he is fine, but he is gelded. I would assume alpacas would be the same in temperment, not as protective, but able to get along if they both have their own eating areas, and plenty of room.

ilroost

Just born
Reaction score
i have raised pygmies for 6 yrs now and god willing i will never be with out my goats

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We were jsut discussing life without goats--I don't think it will ever happen --goats are our staff of life--our life-next to my grandchildren;). My daughters will have goats and DGS #3 (will be 4 in Oct) loves his goaties, does chores and starting milking at age 2 1/2--no, he isn't able to finish, but he knows the routine, down to brushing their "tummies" and cleaning the teats, milking the first milk into a separate cup and the teat dip at the end. right now he we are waiting for babies and he checks their sides and is learning to check ligaments--he maybe doesn't know what that completely means, but he is learning and I think goats will always be apart of his life. :D