How to find goat milk

Bicycle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Around here ("here" being northeastern Illinois), it's legal to sell raw milk, but you're not allowed to advertise. I've been trying to find a place that sells goats milk so I can see if me and the rest of my family likes it before I plan my life around getting goats. I can't find anyone selling it, not even as pet food. There are a few good Nigerian Dwarf breeders nearby, but they won't respond to e-mails if you mention milk at all.
So my question is this: How do you find goats milk for sale where farmers aren't allowed to advertise?

Bicycle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
3482_alone1.jpg

Is e-mail just not a good way to get in contact with farmers? I know there are people with dairy goats around here, because there was tons of them at the county fair, I just have no idea how to get in contact with them.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You might try the feed stores. Ask the owner/manager if they could tell you the names of anyone who buys the bags of dairy goat feed. If they can't or won't give that information ask them if they would be willing to give your name and number (print out some cards before going) to people who buy it asking them to contact you. Or they may have a bulliten board where you could post a request. Good luck!

dreamriver

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
you could try a organic food store to see if they know of anyone.

Bicycle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I talked on the phone with a Nigerian Dwarf breeder and found out why it's so hard to find anyone selling milk. Apparently, someone got angry and sued someone selling milk and it was a huge legal mess, so now no one wants to sell milk around here. I guess I'll have to either find some sort of loop hole, or find a way to convince my parents that goats milk doesn't taste bad that doesn't involve actually trying it.