If you sell your rabbits, where do you advertise them?

pennylove

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I found one rabbit on Craigslist, by chance, and it seems some breeders regularly list there in the Agriculture section, but not a lot. I know Hoobly is pretty popular, too. I was just curious if there are other sites popularly used by rabbit breeders that I'm maybe missing.

I know rabbit shows and fairs are good sources, too, but I'm looking for a specific breed/color and I want to make sure I exhaust all resources: )

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've listed on Craigs list but the feed store has sent me more people. They know me and know when I have young rabbits cause the feed bill goes up!

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use craigslist, but I also network with other breeders on facebook groups. The latter I use especially for my better quality rabbits. I also advertise my show quality stock on craigslist, but I prefer to sell my better rabbits to breeders I know personally.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CL doesn't work for us, because even though we are selling meat rabbits (livestock), ads get flagged within a few hours. Other breeders around us have the same problem.

I have an ad on the town "bulliten board" which is electronic and post ads at the feed stores.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
CL doesn't work for us, because even though we are selling meat rabbits (livestock), ads get flagged within a few hours. Other breeders around us have the same problem.

I have an ad on the town "bulliten board" which is electronic and post ads at the feed stores.
X2. No matter what I do all my rabbit ads get flagged on Craiglist. :he

I advertise at the feed stores, forums and by word of mouth. I also use other advertising sites like hoobly etc...

redtailgal

Reaction score
Why do they get flagged? I've heard others complaining of the same problem, but I dont understand.

pennylove

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Why do they get flagged? I've heard others complaining of the same problem, but I dont understand.
Craigslist has a "no breeding or selling" policy for their Pets board and the rescue set (I'm involved with Border Collie rescue, but I'm talking about fanatic rescuers, here) like to squat on Craigslist flagging ads they suspect are from backyard breeders and resellers. They do it because they think it will keep unsavory sellers from posting there and that more animals will then be adopted from rescues and rehomed right from Craigslist. I'm not at all sure it works that way. For one thing, it's easy to lie and easy to keep reposting the ad and anyone who wants to use Craigslist as a means for advertising knows how to do so. For another, despite rescuers' best efforts, there is a lot of interest in that type of ads--people want puppies and kittens, cheap if possible, they don't ask a lot of questions and most people don't really care if the dog is from an licensed, DOA inspected dog breeder with AKC championship bloodlines or someone's pet raised on the kitchen floor.

Some Craigslist cities are worse than others. Chicago, for example, is full of flaggers--even legitimate pet-being-rehomed ads often get flagged unless the wording is "just right" and no one will tell anyone getting flagged why their ad was taken down. Peoria, in central Illinois, is the exact opposite. Hardly anyone gets flagged there and whenever I've been browsing, I've seen ads for 8-week old pit bull puppies, teacup chihuahuas, etc., that have been posted for days and those are just the kind of ads that would get flagged down in seconds on Chicago's Craigslist. To me, it's a very strange person that spends their time browsing Craigslist in the interest of combating backyard breeders--I wonder if they fancy themselves armchair warriors?

I am, however, surprised to here that the ads are getting flagged in the Agriculture section. By Craigslists' rules, you are allowed to post livestock animals in that area for sale or trade and it doesn't matter if you're breeding. Certainly no one objects to calves and fillies/colts being posted there, so it's odd that rabbits would garner any other treatment!

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
pennylove said:
redtailgal said:
Craigslist has a "no breeding or selling" policy for their Pets board and the rescue set (I'm involved with Border Collie rescue, but I'm talking about fanatic rescuers, here) like to squat on Craigslist flagging ads they suspect are from backyard breeders and resellers. They do it because they think it will keep unsavory sellers from posting there and that more animals will then be adopted from rescues and rehomed right from Craigslist. I'm not at all sure it works that way. For one thing, it's easy to lie and easy to keep reposting the ad and anyone who wants to use Craigslist as a means for advertising knows how to do so. For another, despite rescuers' best efforts, there is a lot of interest in that type of ads--people want puppies and kittens, cheap if possible, they don't ask a lot of questions and most people don't really care if the dog is from an licensed, DOA inspected dog breeder with AKC championship bloodlines or someone's pet raised on the kitchen floor.

Some Craigslist cities are worse than others. Chicago, for example, is full of flaggers--even legitimate pet-being-rehomed ads often get flagged unless the wording is "just right" and no one will tell anyone getting flagged why their ad was taken down. Peoria, in central Illinois, is the exact opposite. Hardly anyone gets flagged there and whenever I've been browsing, I've seen ads for 8-week old pit bull puppies, teacup chihuahuas, etc., that have been posted for days and those are just the kind of ads that would get flagged down in seconds on Chicago's Craigslist. To me, it's a very strange person that spends their time browsing Craigslist in the interest of combating backyard breeders--I wonder if they fancy themselves armchair warriors?

I am, however, surprised to here that the ads are getting flagged in the Agriculture section. By Craigslists' rules, you are allowed to post livestock animals in that area for sale or trade and it doesn't matter if you're breeding. Certainly no one objects to calves and fillies/colts being posted there, so it's odd that rabbits would garner any other treatment!
Its because some people consider chickens and rabbits as pets and are horrified at the thought that they might end up on a plate. You should see some of the people at our fair when they ask the kids what they do with the animals after the fair is over. :rolleyes:

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They don't care that rabbits are legally "livestock" and therefore flag the ads. They think rabbits are pets not livestock.

The flagging is usually done by the rabbit rescues. :barnie