Just a vent of sorts.

motoclown

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I feel sad about killing bunnies that I don't even have yet. They are sooooo cute.

The ole man keeps saying they are greasy he tried it once as a child but
I think it's because he is not into raising/killing rabbits.
We'll see.

Dirk Chesterfield

Just born
Reaction score
It's never easy to harvest an animal that was in your care from the day it's momma was bred. I am always careful to make it's end quick and clean. Ever thankful to the Creator and the individual animal for sustaining my life.

Even this grey old man has shed tears for still born babies and unintended favorites during dispatch. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Striker

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am a 31 year old big and strong male. I just moved to a small town in the middle of no place. That alone was hard to adjust to. We had 19 baby chickens and some died but two I put in the freezer. We now have 12. I had no idea what I was doing and I said out loud at least 4 times that I was going to hang and slice necks of 2 out of the three that I thought where males. Turns out they where just the oldest laying hens with tall combs :(. Learned to look for spurs after I found eggs. To be honest that was harder then anything to do in the first place. Then my first rabbit had baby's in her. We just had a litter of 8 3 days ago and found out too late that mom was not taking care of them while we thought they where just tucked away in the nesting box. This farm stuff is hard. Your not alone. I have to just do it when it needs done. I dont think it will ever be easy.

~Wind~

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am very happy to hear I am not the only one struggling with this. Makes me feel 100 times better. Thanks everyone!!

I think my dad is going to come out to visit and help dispatch this litter with me. So I will have some help to make things a little easier.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Killing an animal should never be easy. If it doesn't bother you a bit you are too hard hearted. That being said, it is the price we pay for eating meat. Take comfort in knowing that you are giving them a more peaceful death than any animal that is butchered in a processing plant. Of course, take the time to learn how to do it quickly and as painlessly as possible. Probably best for a beginner is a pellet gun. Beginners tend to flinch when bopping one and don't always get clean kills with one stroke.

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Killing an animal should never be easy. If it doesn't bother you a bit you are too hard hearted. That being said, it is the price we pay for eating meat. Take comfort in knowing that you are giving them a more peaceful death than any animal that is butchered in a processing plant. Of course, take the time to learn how to do it quickly and as painlessly as possible. .
X2

Striker

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Killing an animal should never be easy. If it doesn't bother you a bit you are too hard hearted. That being said, it is the price we pay for eating meat. Take comfort in knowing that you are giving them a more peaceful death than any animal that is butchered in a processing plant. Of course, take the time to learn how to do it quickly and as painlessly as possible. Probably best for a beginner is a pellet gun. Beginners tend to flinch when bopping one and don't always get clean kills with one stroke.
Thats what I used on my first and only rabbit so far. Seemed nice and fast. Laid rabbit in grass put steel wire drawer over it. I dont think it seen or felt anything. Also since then I picked up some pointed "hunting pellets". Should be even better.

Okie Amazon

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
motoclown said:
Hmmm... No disrespect to your "ole mans'" mother (or whoever did the cooking when he was growing up) but you have to mess up pretty bad to make rabbit greasy!

I always raised chickens and rabbits when I was growing up - my Easter bunnies and chicks became my movie and snow-cone money for the summer. Back then I just sold them to Farmers Coop and was spared having to "do it" myself. Now, I'm looking at dispatching our first litter of buns. I know it's going to be hard, they are all so sweet and tame, but at least I know they were well-fed, happy and lived happy bunny lives. If I can make their last minutes non-stressful and as painless as possible, at least I'll know they fared better than any animal you'd find in the local grocery store. Really interested in that "rabbit wringer" I've seen. Looks very quick and easy.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okie Amazon said:
motoclown said:
Hmmm... No disrespect to your "ole mans'" mother (or whoever did the cooking when he was growing up) but you have to mess up pretty bad to make rabbit greasy!
I bet he was confusing rabbit with duck. Duck is very greasy.

bunnylovincowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Legacy said:
Okie Amazon said:
motoclown said:
I bet he was confusing rabbit with duck. Duck is very greasy.
I've never eaten rabbit -- or duck -- but I've heard people say that wild rabbit is greasy/slimy/dark, very unlike the white meat of domestic rabbits. But I don't know...