Just had a copper thought need some help.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
There are more factors other than how deficient your area for copper is. There are also things that binds the copper and it all doesn't get absorbed. If you really want to do things right, you would test your soil, your hay, your feed and your water. Then adjust your feeding/supplementing plan accordingly. I just don't have the time and resources to do that and have my work around of copper bolusing a little more often.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
There are more factors other than how deficient your area for copper is. There are also things that binds the copper and it all doesn't get absorbed. If you really want to do things right, you would test your soil, your hay, your feed and your water. Then adjust your feeding/supplementing plan accordingly. I just don't have the time and resources to do that and have my work around of copper bolusing a little more often.
ksalvagno is right on the money here. Many factors play a role in how deficient YOUR FARM is.

In addition there are biological factors that can make some goats more susceptible to deficiency so a base blood test on your herd is likely to be a good idea.

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
ksalvagno said:
ksalvagno is right on the money here. Many factors play a role in how deficient YOUR FARM is.

In addition there are biological factors that can make some goats more susceptible to deficiency so a base blood test on your herd is likely to be a good idea.
Thanks for the information guys.

I know alot of people do not test, which I guess is why I was wondering if I should just go ahead and do it or not. I tend to over panic on numerous things.

I have to take the pup to the vet here in the next few days so I will ask when I am there what they think. They also treat livestock and would be my vet of choice for anything on the goats anyways.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/countydata.htm

The link above will take you to maps of various mineral levels in the U.S. including copper. It varies from county to county so even within the same state, you should check your area. Copper toxicity is dangerous too.
THANK YOU for that link!!!

I've been trying to get that info forever, county extension seems to have no idea (they won't answer me anyway) and the vet just looks at me blankly. Sigh ...

I KNOW there's more to the picture, as mentioned later in this thread. After all, with the drought last year, pretty much all hay has been trucked in. I ask where it's from, but it's hard to know for sure. And I can't afford to test everything. (Though I'm thinking the water company may have info at least.)

What's funny (or not really) to me is that the county just west of me is on the high end of the scale. Mine is WAY low, and I'm bordering the county to the east, which is even lower. Copper seems to be almost nonexistent here.

Just gives me a little more info. Now, if I can put 2 and 2 together and figure out why my geese are eating dirt this year ... :rolleyes:

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Welcome. It is really neat to see the mineral levels like that. The others are right though, that alone is not enough to decide whether or not you need copper or what not, but its a start. I have not yet had any issues with mineral deficiency, thank goodness, and have done well with mineral blocks, hay, and during winter Noble goat feed but I know that lots and lots of people, even some in neighboring counties, have had problems with copper and selenium.