Kid Watch Feb/March: Jenny day 138

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
TheMixedBag said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
Nice kids!!!

You aren't selling Jenny, are you????
Definitely not. She's on semi-permanent lease so long as I put her on milk test this year. After that, she's pretty much mine, but there's no way I'm selling her. Her granddam was 2005 breed leader for milking, and her dam produces over a gallon and a half easily.
Wow!!! How are the saanen's personalities??? Are they nice? Pushy? How big are they? I'm guessing they produce a lot of milk...

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Saanan's are supposedly the best milk producers out there, very hardy and have great temperments.

TMB - I really can't believe how much Milky Way looks like my Fudgie. She kidded 2 weeks ago and had a solid chocolate one and another that looks just like her. Must be the nubian in them!

TheMixedBag

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Dreaming Of Goats said:
TheMixedBag said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
Nice kids!!!

You aren't selling Jenny, are you????
Definitely not. She's on semi-permanent lease so long as I put her on milk test this year. After that, she's pretty much mine, but there's no way I'm selling her. Her granddam was 2005 breed leader for milking, and her dam produces over a gallon and a half easily.
Wow!!! How are the saanen's personalities??? Are they nice? Pushy? How big are they? I'm guessing they produce a lot of milk...
She was semi-wild when we got her, and she calmed down in about 3 days with us milking her twice a day. Even on poor feed (I *really* didn't know what I was doing) she produced nearly a gallon as a FF. Her sire's pedigree complete with milking records (in pounds) is linked at the bottom.

She's head-shy, but easy-going and willing to let you do what you want with her. No fight on the stand, either for milking or trimming, I can vaccinate her without holding her.

She's actually kinda small for her breed, I'd guess she's around 150-ish with the pregnancy, and in the mid 30's for inches on height.

http://horseofcorff.com/id35_huey.htm

TheMixedBag

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
These photos are from day 137, but whatever. She hasn't changed at all from yesterday, so it works!

Anyways, since February has come and gone, and I have a definite day I saw her bred in October (17th, to be exact), according to a calculator, her day 150 is March 16th, putting her at day 138 today. Her udder's looking great (or at least I think so-opinions? It'll only get bigger, no real change in shape), she's fairly sunken in all around, and ligs are soft, so I don't see how she can make it to day 150. Her belly's huge, so here's to hoping there's at least 2 in there!

I switched their feed today, I need to know if it sounds OK. Both girls get a scoop of alfalfa pellets once daily, mixed with Manna Pro loose minerals, and I'm slowly adding in beet pulp. They got a quarter scoop dry this morning mixed in. Maverick (our buck) gets a scoop of alfalfa pellets to himself, same mineral, and I gave him a handful of beet pulp dry this morning. I'll be giving Probios paste this afternoon to help with the change, since I started doing that, I haven't had anyone scour from missed feedings or feed changes.

Also-I'm debating right now. I have the choice to keep either her daughter (25% Saanen, 50% Alpine), or save the money and buy a purebred Saanen doe. Jenny's grand-dam was 2004 breed leader (I got the year wrong). In case it helps, the buck we bred her to is posted below.

Photo0119.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

Photo0118.jpg

Photo0116.jpg

Dill's Mighty Maverick, 2010/11 herdsire. Can post front and back shots as well.
Photo0040-2.jpg

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I don't know much about sanaans... but she looks like most of her nutrients are going to kids and milk production and not much is going to her. I don't think I have seen a goat with such protruding hip bones before.
What feed are you switching her to? and if you aren't already, I suggest feeding her at least 1 cup of BOSS per day... something to help her bulk up.
Edited to add: I LOVE the Doctor Who quote in your signature!!! :love :love :love!!!! I miss Chistopher Eccleston.... and David Tennant... but more the brooding #9.

TheMixedBag

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She's been like that. It's hereditary. She's got a good layer of fat over her ribs, and quite frankly, if she keeps it up, she'll be overweight (dairy goats are not supposed to be fat, and her genetics make it look so much worse than it ever is).

For example-this was her back in July, dry and open. She was overweight at this point, she'd been dry for a month already.
20100808120625.jpg

Of course, you also have to remember that the farther along she gets, and the closer she gets to kidding, the skinnier she'll look as everything's pulled farther down.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
TheMixedBag said:
dairy goats are not supposed to be fat,
No, you're right, overconditioning isn't a good thing BUT :hide IMO she needs more condition. She isn't just dairy conditioned, she's eating muscle protein to support her growing kids.

For instance, here is a Saanen breeder with several photos of does in milk...showing good dairy condition.
http://www.olddominiondairygoats.com/emily.htm

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
helmstead said:
TheMixedBag said:
dairy goats are not supposed to be fat,
No, you're right, overconditioning isn't a good thing BUT :hide IMO she needs more condition. She isn't just dairy conditioned, she's eating muscle protein to support her growing kids.

For instance, here is a Saanen breeder with several photos of does in milk...showing good dairy condition.
http://www.olddominiondairygoats.com/emily.htm
that was my thinking exactly... no need to hide ;)
ETA: That sanaan doe that is pictured in that link you posted is in prime condition! What a marvelous creature!