Kikos reserved....Need advice on fencing, planting pasture and shelter

GoatRancher11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello fellow goat ranchers! :D I had no idea this forum even existed until I hit google a little while ago. This is exciting.

I have read books, been to goat farms and spoken on the phone and computer to numerous experienced goat ranchers over the last 6-8 months. Finally, after doing all of this, I am really excited about getting my feet wet.

I am going to put some Kiko does on 6 acres of pasture/woods (mostly pasture) in April or May. After speaking to several different people, it sounds like planting millet or lespedeza is the best thing for goats. Should I plant the pasture half/half or just plant lespedeza or millet? Is there a better alternative in planting the pasture? Maybe something else that goats really love that you can plant for them? Is it better to plant several different forages in order to give them more of a menu to browse since they will be primarily on pasture? I have heard they love crab grass as well?

On the fencing, I know I am going to do 5 strand hotwire. I have about $300 saved up already for the fencing but how much will the supplies cost (estimate or guesstimate is fine) in all? When you factor in T posts, gates, hotbox, clamps, etc.? Also, should I do a few wooden posts in a few places in order to stabilize the entire fence? Is that even necessary?

How would I go about finding someone to put up the fence? I have heard it is pretty cheap to find someone to put up the fence for you? How do I find this magical person? Also, what would it cost to get a farmer to disc up the field and plant the seed. I do not have a tractor.

On the shelter, I am just trying to get something that will not be too expensive but will keep the goats out of the rain, b/c I know they hate that! It can be temporary but I would like for it to be stable. Is it possible to build something very cheap which is big enough to get 12-18 of them out of the rain at one time???

Thank you guys so much in advance for your help! I have researched this stuff until I was blue in the face and I am really looking forward to getting started! I just need a little bit of help getting started and finding folks.

Thanks again!

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Congrats on all the planning--that's wonderful!

I only have two little wethers & a pretty basic set-up, but I wanted to suggest you try Premier 1 Fencing's website (take out the spaces, add a dot com to their name...). They've always been VERY helpful to me, and they have wonderful on-line resources for finding out what you need & how much it will cost. I think they are a little pricier than, say, Home Depot or something, but it's worth it to be sure you're getting the right thing.

Hope that helps, and good luck. Goats are fun!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would not even bother planting anything for them, unless you pasture has nothing in it right now. I have kikos and they are very hardy. They are excelent foragers and will find plenty to eat. They love to get into the trees and browse there. You will need more than 5 strand hotwire for goats. 7-8 is minimum. A good estimate is $2.00-$3.00 a linear foot for fencing. Priemier One is an excelent resource. I use the electronet temporary fencing for my unfenced areas.

Since kikos are a very hardy breed, a three sided shelter with the open side to the leeward direction will be fine, as long as it is draft free and dry. My kikos prefer being outside unless it is wet or very cold. 12- 18 goats, I think at least of 6' deep x 12' long.

Housing can be done cheaply if you watch for used equipment. I got used metal roofing for a real cheap on CL. Four 4x4 posts in the ground, 2x4 frame and used metal roofing on sides and top. Works great.

You do not want to skimp on fences.

Good luck with your goat venture.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome

I'm not sure about the "magical person" who would put a fence cheaply....around my area people are charging anywhere from $10-$15 per post! Of course - we're in rock country and digging holes is a PITA.

If you are handy enough, you can do it all yourself and save a lot of money. I would recomment T-posts for straight lines, then use wooden posts for corners. For the fencing in the woods just use garbage trees instead of posts.

The cost of the fencing also depends on your area. I have my goats in about an acre of property and only have 3 hot wires running inside field fencing. The entire fencing project probably cost me $600 (give or take $100) after figuring in the cost of a charger (mind you - I bought a really heavy duty one since the land is highly dense with vegitation and rocks), high tensile wire, insulators, posts etc.

And jodie is correct...they don't need anything fancy to get them out of the rain so that part can be as cheap or expensive as you want to get. But keep in mind that for kidding season you may want a house/barn/room closer to you to bring does in so they aren't kidding off in no man's land where you won't be able to assist should you have to.

Good luck!

GoatRancher11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. I will certainly go with 7-8 strand hotwire then. I agree on the shelter; I think that can certainly be done for very cheap and get something more heavy duty as I go along.

I am certainly learning more by the day I think. I think this is going to be so much fun!

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Where are you getting your kikos? I diversified into them last year and have gotten them some several different places? I really like the "low maintenance part. Hate the wild, dont' like people part.

I bought a kiko buck from the MD forage buck test and he is really growing fast! I am going to use him to breed replacement stock.

Welcome and good luck with your venture. Scrounge as much as you can for materials. You will be amazed at what you can get for cheap or free.

GoatRancher11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have reserved six already out of Anderson, SC. Have contacted a couple of farms in Georgia (Northeast) that are not far at all from this other farm. Have also contacted one in West Virginia as well. Trying to buy from people who have some experience and at least 94% plus on the Kiko side.

AfterI became more knowlegdeable and versed in it. I say that, I don't even have goats yet! As far as book knowledge was concerned and visiting farms, I felt good about moving forward with making buying decisions.

I am in "reserve" mode at this point and making sure that I can put something in the pasture this Spring. I have the fencing lined up, the shelter should not be hard either.

Based on the age of the does by Nov-Jan, I may buy a buck from somewhere in 2011. I would like to get an older buck with good bloodlines that is ready to leave one farm. We'll see though, got to get the does first and make sure they are old enough and mature enough to breed in first year. Otherwise, I may wait until the Spring of 2012 to breed or Fall of 2012.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great! I think it is good to get animals from multiple farms. If you are getting your girls this spring you probably will want a buck for fall of this year.

Once they hit the 80 lb mark they will be ready to go!

Caprine Genetics in Virginia has some really nice bloodlines. You might want to talk to him. John Smith is his name.

GoatRancher11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Very nice! What does the typical buck go for at Caprine Genetics in Virginia? I am certainly willing to pay a little bit on the buck aspect for sure. Everyone pretty much tells me you will pay $500-$2,000 for a good buck and I am going to do that. I hope to get one this fall for sure.

How long does it take the does to reach 80 pounds? I've also heard 70 pounds or 7 months, whichever comes first. I think I would lean on the 10 months plus on the age though. Maybe that's just me but I certainly want them to be fully mature or REALLY close b/4 getting that buck!

My long term goal is to build great genetics and assist in raising the bar for Kikos. I am in North Carolina. I have met with or spoken with most of the Kiko goat ranchers here in NC. They are all so nice.

It just doesn't seem like there are many of us in this State. Hopefully we can build something here and be a "go to" eventually for all the other ranchers that border us in the Southeast!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are going to wait until fall to get a buck, I recommend attending either the Oklahoma buck test or the Maryland buck test. Buck tests are where bucks from a bunch of different farms are raised together under the same conditions. Bucks are checked on regular intervals for weight gain, worms and other health issues. At the end the bucks with the best weight gain who also met other criteria such as structural soundness and worm resistance are sold at auction. Despite these bucks having proven weight gain rates and parasite resilience/resistance the prices are frequently very reasonable.

These tests are conducted by several states but the OK one is forage based and the MD one is forage only. Both of these are more suited towards the Kikos as opposed to Boers. Kikos excel at converting weight from natural forage which is their advantage over Boers. Boers do better in confined tests where the diet is supplemented heavily with grain.

I was at the MD buck test last year and purchased the 7th place buck for $350. The top buck sold for $1400. Currently the MD buck field day and sale are tentatively scheduled for October 1st 2011 or September 24th 2011.

http://mdgoattest.blogspot.com/

I do not know what John normally charges for bucks. The price will vary considerably based on what percentage the animal is, 100% NZ goats for much more than purebred ones. I purchased two high percentage does from him at $150 each but I got a really good deal. Lots of goats and not many bidders at the auction. Normally they would have been in the $200-$250 range.

http://www.kikogoats.com/southern.htm#virginia Scroll down to John Smith in Virginia.