LaMancha crosses....what happens with the ears?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happens when you cross a LaMancha with a breed that has ears? What do you tend to get in the ear department?

What have you seen? Crossed with upright ears, and crossed with floppy ears....and airplane ears!?

Got pictures?

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Generally LaMancha ears are classified as 'Cookie' or 'Elf'. I've seen a LaMancha and Nubian mix with slightly longer elf ears that folded downwards.

Other than that, I have no expirience in LaManchas. I almost bought one last year when I miracously found a breeder 25 minutes away, but decided against it.

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have 11 Boar/LaMacha cross does....
some have normal Boar ears, and they're are others who have the small little LaMacha ears. Outta the 11 I believe 5 have LaMacha ears... Other than the ears, you won't really know they are crossed...

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
So it is an either/or thing for you, Run-A-Muck? No strange half-way ears? Can you post a few pictures?

BB, I don't suppose you have any pictures of the half-way ears? How ugly were they? :p

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not ugly at all, more like uber adorable.

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have heard either "gopher" or "elf" ears for purebred LaManchas. I think that only one type of ear is desired on the bucks-but I don't know which one it is. I don't how it would work with crosses. i would like to see some pictures also. :)

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have several girls with LaMancha blood in them. I will try to get pics of them this evening when we do chores.

OK, took some pics this evening. First 3 girls are half sisters (they have the same mom). They are 1/4 LaMancha:

This is Gracie

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

These two twinkies are Minnie and Daisy

IMG_2137.jpg

This is Tinkerbell. She is half LaMancha and the mom of Gracie, Minnie and Daisy

IMG_2138.jpg

This is Lefty. She is half LaMancha

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a nigerian doe. We got her in March and at that point we got her buck with her that had the LaManche ears. The father was LaManche. We no longer have the buck because I wanted to stick with only nigerians. About a month ago she kidded to twin does. She ended up being breed when we got her and knew we took that chance. One doe came out with LaManche ears and the other had the nigerian ears. I have since sold both does.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Wow, it seems that the no-ears trait is STRONG! Minnie and Daisy seemed to do ok, though....and one of your twins, gl.

I do like ears on my goats.....sigh.....but the milk production.....sigh :rolleyes:

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i saw some half lamanchas at the sale this week. some had ears and some didnt. i figured they'd all have SOME little ears. a lot of them had the the things that hang down under their neck on both sides. what does that mean?