Linda Parelli video, working with one-eyed horse...

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
dianneS wrote:
Switching back and forth from her good side to her bad side is the best way I've found to gain her trust and get her to connect the voice commands. Just like you would work any other really one-sided horse, both sides have to be worked equally.
Guess I wasn't clear-I do agree with you. MY POINT was that, as you said about your horse, there is a heightened sensibility to touch on a blind or partially blind horse. I have, in my experience noticed that all of the horses I have owned and trained over the years are soothed by the voice and can learn to take verbal commands, which they do not forget.

I DID have a gelding go blind on me. I didn't see it, but my Vet noticed a degenerative condition. He started to spook at the shadows he was seeing, and I was kicked in the head.

Regardless, it's good to have this discussion. :D
Voice commands do help soothe my mare and of course its all she has to go on when she can't see. I have found that if I have the same crowding issue like Linda had in the video. I usually just touch my mare with a longe whip to sort of push her out of my space on her blind side. I've tried flicking the whip of lead rope at her so she can hear and feel it, but on her blind side, that freaks her out. If she can trust that I'm only going to touch her with it, and using my voice at the same time, that usually works a lot better than those techniques Linda was using!

Whoa, kicked in the head?? Wow, sorry to hear that, very scary. You're very fortunate to be okay.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
As an equine massage therapist, I have had the opportunity to work on several horses that have had an eye removed due to injury or disease. They were all in work and doing quite well. They all had chronic muscle issues that needed regular maintainance because of the way they need to swing their heads to see where they are going, though.

Yesterday I picked up a new client. A Grand Prix dressage horse who is missing an eye, for many years now. He was long-listed for the Olympics, one-eyed, when his owner was badly injured while riding another horse. He is an amazing animal. So yes, with certain considerations, one-eyed horses can have long and useful and safe lives.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
As an equine massage therapist, I have had the opportunity to work on several horses that have had an eye removed due to injury or disease. They were all in work and doing quite well. They all had chronic muscle issues that needed regular maintainance because of the way they need to swing their heads to see where they are going, though.

Yesterday I picked up a new client. A Grand Prix dressage horse who is missing an eye, for many years now. He was long-listed for the Olympics, one-eyed, when his owner was badly injured while riding another horse. He is an amazing animal. So yes, with certain considerations, one-eyed horses can have long and useful and safe lives.
I have noticed my mare has muscle issues due to her blindness as well.

How long have you been an equine massage therapist? I've been a human massage therapist for almost 11 years now. I was thinking of getting my equine certification, if for nothing else, the CEU hours. My National Certification is due to expire in two years and I have to get caught up with my continuing ed in order to maintain my certification and license.

Where did you go to school? I only know of Equissage in Virginia as the only school accredited by the National Certification Board for Massage and bodywork, so I guess that is the only place that would offer me the CEU's I would need.

Do you work on humans too, or just horses? I wouldn't mind getting away from working on humans and replace a few of my current clients with clients of the equine variety! Humans can be so draining some times.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I have been a massage therapist for people and horses since 1998. I also teach at a massage school and teach advanced coursed for LMT's.

I use Meagher Method of sportsmassage for both people and horses. He only authorized two people to teach his work, Joann Wilson and Robert Altman. They are the ONLY two people he taught his secrets to, although others claim to know his work....many people watched him work, but he kept his secrets to himself. I say this because I took a course from someone who claimed to be taught by Jack Meagher, then I went on to take Jack's course, and it was night and day.

Anyways, Jack has since died, and as far as I know, Robert and Joann aren't teaching right now, but don't take my word for it, do an online search. I did see Joann's name as an applicant for CE provider status with NCTMBA recently, so that is promising. They are the only ones I can whole-heartedly recommend learning from. They both really know their stuff. You will have to travel....

I took all the courses offered and assisted some as well, when Robert and Joann were teaching Meagher Method together. They would not accept an applicant who was not a licensed, practicing massage therapist with a solid background in horses. The course was very intensive, and they didn't want to be defining words or trying to keep people from getting stepped on!

Check out the AMTA's research foundation site...Joann got a grant a few years ago on behalf of the Meagher Institute and did some cool massage research using horses.

I put in my CE provider application as well, and may teach an equine course myself.

Oh, and the VA course....I met two other therapists who took it, then took the Meagher Method workshops. They both panned the course. They both said they learned more in one day with Robert and Joann than in the entire course in VA. Just going by what I was told. There is also a course near me in CT that has been offered for years that is a big joke. So be careful in what course you choose to take.

I am really not familiar with what else is out there, so I can only speak from my own experience and from the experience of people who I spoke to directly.

That is so cool that you are also a massage therapist!!! I teach a CE course via teleconference called, "Maximize Your Performance Potential: Factors Contributing to Energy, Inflammation, and Pain, Part I & II" that is a total of 16 CE hours. I've taught it twice so far to rave reviews. E-mail me if you are interested in getting notified when I teach it again! I plan on getting one going in the next couple of months. I teach this one over a two month period, once a week classes of two hours each. It is too info-intensive to do all at once. Your head would explode, and so would mine! This course leads into you teaching your clients how to manage lifestyle options that will keep them healthy and reduce chronic pain. It is very satisfying....like massage therapy....but you can rest your hands for a bit!

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have never been impressed with the Parelli training methods, mainly due to the people I have personally come across that are self proclaimed "Parelli trainers" have been quite incompetent. I guess after seeing this I guess they WERE trainers by that standard...

:/

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ashmeade said:
I have never been impressed with the Parelli training methods, mainly due to the people I have personally come across that are self proclaimed "Parelli trainers" have been quite incompetent. I guess after seeing this I guess they WERE trainers by that standard...

:/
I agreee. I've had the same experiences with "Parelli trainers"

I really lost a lot of respect for the whole Parelli phenomenon when I heard about the whole helmet saga.

Long story short, they were questioned as to why no one wears helmets in their videos and there was some sort of response issued in the regard that relying on a helmet is a crutch of sorts and if you have a good bond with your horse and your horse is properly trained you shouldn't have to rely on additional gear for safety. It was pretty ridiculous. I'm paraphrasing of course but that was the general idea.

fadetopurple

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
dianneS said:
I really lost a lot of respect for the whole Parelli phenomenon when I heard about the whole helmet saga.
Seconded. I also strongly disliked their advice on curing a horse of biting. (Basically, wait for the horse to bite, and have a carrot ready in place of your tender flesh; they'll be pleasantly surprised by the carrot and never bite again!) I don't think it was actually given by one of the Parellis, but it was on their site and they defended it when someone emailed them about it.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dianneS wrote:

I am absolutely with you there! :thumbsup

Seconded. I also strongly disliked their advice on curing a horse of biting. (Basically, wait for the horse to bite, and have a carrot ready in place of your tender flesh; they'll be pleasantly surprised by the carrot and never bite again!) I don't think it was actually given by one of the Parellis, but it was on their site and they defended it when someone emailed them about it.
Why does this not surprise me? :rolleyes: I often wonder if these Parellites even work with real horses.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LauraM said:
dianneS wrote:

I am absolutely with you there! :thumbsup

Why does this not surprise me? :rolleyes: I often wonder if these Parellites even work with real horses.
The Parelli's cure for cribbing, although its not a training technique, and it does make sense, just isn't realistic in a chronic cribber.

Pat Parelli says that cribbing is caused by digestive issues and since a horse can't burp, it cribs to relieve the discomfort. While this does make sense and could be the initial cause of cribbing. All of the dietary changes, digestive aids and whatnot are not going to cure a chronic cribber that has a deeply ingrained habit.

I just wonder if Pat Parelli has ever dealt with a real cribber before? I could see using his suggestions to prevent a cribbing habit before it starts, but I just don't see it curing a chronic cribber.

duckluck

Just born
Reaction score
dianneS said:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80925308

I personally own a horse that is blind in one eye. I know that she can crowd me on her blind side at times, that's not her fault. Groundwork can be difficult at times and challenging and I have to find ways to work around her blindness issue. Mainly by using my voice A LOT when she's not able to see me. Also, not using any aggressive or violent sudden movements so that she will earn my trust and know that she's not going to get smacked or something and not see it coming!

Very gentle and patient training is required when dealing with a blind horse. They are very reluctant to trust if they can't see or hear what is being asked of them.

I don't agree with how Linda is handling this horse and I don't think she accomplished anything with him. I'm very disappointed in her.
Heh heh, this video has caused quite a flap, other people are talking about it too.