Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I scrapie tag at a couple of days old. Then I know who is who. If they go to auction, that’s all they need. If keepers, they get a ID tag. It saves trying to figure what lamb goes to what ewe.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going forward, I will tag everyone at birth. The commercial lambs get the free white tags. For registered, they get the fancy tags. This time I had issue with the too big tags ripping out of ears. Then I frankly forgot until lambs started arriving. The nice Q1.5 tags are $0.65 each. I still would have rodeo for CDT shots. But hubby got his cheap welder working this weekend so I will have better gates next time.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We tag when the lambs come out of the jugs to go into the creep pen. Everybody gets a scrapie tag, only ewes get a flock tag. I write down the scrapie # and the flock # in my book. Have had sheep lose a tag and had to verify who it was by scrapie tag and vice versa.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
It never ends. Hattie LPH16 is scouring so I will pickup meds that @Baymule recommended tomorrow and keep her in on hay.

Sunday I put Aria and Dottie in with Snickers for about 2 months. Aria weaned her lamb 1-14-24 and seems in decent condition. Dottie is still on fat side after loosing her lamb on 2-4-24. If they take they will lamb in July. I need to figure out lambing plan especially since the crayons are not showing up on the sheep.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you using the cold weather crayons? If they don't work, get some of the color powder and mix it with grease, Crisco type stuff, and smear it on the ram's brisket. Only problem with that type of marking is that you have to reapply it just about every day.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to aim for the 3 lambs per 2 years cycle. It seems to be what Aria does already. July and August are hottest months. Late February is a crap shoot for rain vs ice.
Expose To RamDec - FebMay - JuneSept - Nov
Lambs DueMay - JuneOctober - NovemberFeb - March

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop I have cold, warm, and hot crayons that I tried last year. None of the colors seemed to show up well on buff tan coats. Snickers also did not like me messing with the harness. So I'm not going to rely on harness. The 2-3 months in at time and pregnancy checking seems to work okay.