MISSING 10 week old fainting goat! UPDATE!!

kayla_sayswa

Just born
Reaction score
I bought my first pair of of goats 2 months ago and we finally brought them home on Sunday - a doeling (8 weeks) and a wether (10 weeks - just banded recently). Due the heaving spring rains/snow our fencing was delayed so we weren't quite ready to let them out, so we put them in a safe pen inside our shed.

This afternoon my 12 year old daughter played with them after school, but left the door unlatched to the pen and the buckling escaped.

We noticed he was missing around 7:30pm - so it could've been a good 3 hours since he escaped - and we've searched everywhere. We only have two small outbuildings, so he's not there. We've walked through about 20 acres of woods that surround our property, talked to neighbors, posted on craigslist, and even sat in teh yard with the doeling bleating her heart out in hopes he would hear her.

Do you think he'll run alot or hunker down and hide tonight? Is there any hope? They are in a new home and were recently weaned...the buckling is more skittish, too. He does have an ear tag and a blue collar on him.

My daughter is devastated. She knows she made a terrible mistake. The wether is her 4H project and we waited so long to get these guys. It's just awful. I don't have the money to just go out and buy another one, either.

I just don't know what more I can do....:(

OH...I really didn't want this to be my first post here! We live in western wisconsin - about an hour east of St Paul, MN.

4114_socks.jpg

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:hugs

I'm sorry that this happened to your family.

The wether is in a new place and probably scared right now. As to whether he'll keep running or hunker down that is hard to say. It sounds like you've done all that you could to put the word out that he's missing.

The only other thing you can do is to keep looking.

I hope that you find him :fl

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hopefully, you will find him shortly or someone else will find him and advertise their find. Best of luck to you.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How is the search this morning? I am sure it was a hard night sleeping.

My prayers are with the goat and also with you...

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The best thing to do is talk to your nighbors, put up signs in the neighborhood and at your local stores.

Hoepfully someone finds the little guy or he comes back. I would think he would want to come back to the doling but if he was just weaned he may be looking for his momma.

I am so sorry!

kayla_sayswa

Just born
Reaction score
HE'S BEEN FOUND!!! :celebrate

I finally fell asleep around 2:30am, with any little noise waking me up.

Hubby walks to get something from his car this morning at 6:00am, when he sees this in our garage. (excuse the mess!)

4114_dsc_0069.jpg

I really don't think he was in the garage last night...it's just too far out of the way and right in the path of the dog. I think someone (a neighbor??) found him and put him there last night.

Regardless, we were crying tears of laughter and happiness this morning!!

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank god for a happy ending. I am so glad you got your little guy back.