Moving goats long distance.. help!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I used cattle panels cut to fit over the wheel wells. I put up a plywood panel on the front to break the wind but cut some holes in it to let some wind through to decrease air resistance. Used ratcheting tiedowns to hold the whole thing in the bed. Put a piece of catte panel on the top. I held it together with rebar twist ties. I covered it with a tightly laced down tarp. The front of the tarp was held down wrapped over a 2 x 4 to keep it from flapping loose and wailing in the wind. It worked VERY WELL. I also carried 4 pieces of cut cattle panel on the top so when I stopped I could bodge together a pen for them to get out and lay on the grass. I used quick clips to hold it together. But I also took rebar ties and nippers to cut it loose in case I needed to keep them penned out for a longer time.

This is what it looked like. Mine is a bit messy, but you get the idea.

1156_loaded.jpg

You do need to stop and let them out at rest stops either in the morning or at night so they can stretch. They will travel best at night because they sleep then, but really they will do fine in the day.

Start putting a little vinegar in their water or get some electrolyte mix to add to the water. Take several packets with you. Or premix it in a quart jar so you can pour some in at stops. It changes the taste so they will drink just about any water you give them. AND you can help in the hot areas if you buy a bag of ice and put it in a bucket with a tight fitting lid. The ice will melt and you can add it to their water to help them cool off.

Put your grain in buckets with lids and it will travel with you.

If you use the cattle panel idea, you can put a gate inset in part way and keep the grain and hay bales at the tailgate end of the truck to keep it clean. Otherwise get a hay bale bag and make sure to line it with big garbage bags. The goats can land will lay on it.

Put pelleted beding, about two bags in the bed of the truck. It can be raked up at stops to clean it and doesn't blow out of the back of the truck. Hay, straw and chips blow everywhere, regardless of what kind of top you have. If you mix straw in, with the pellets it will be better. Carry one extra bag for top offs.

Also, if you put a big tarp folded on the bed of the truck BEFORE you put down the pellets, cleaning at your destination will be MUCH easier.

Dog harnesses are easier to use with traveling goats than collars. Better control and if you need to tie them somewhere in the truck for some reason, they won't get hurt if you stop.

Get two trailer ties (horse ties) they are short and have a quick release hook on one end and a strong clip on the other. It will help you tie the animals to the truck, or wherever when you walk them or if you need to secure them in the truck when you stop or go shopping.

Most rest stops love it if your goats browse the pet areas. Most kids love it if you walk them.

pdpo222

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:thumbsupSounds like an adventure to me. Something I would do. I would make sure ventilation holes were at the top so when they were laying down no wind would be whipping around them. I'd take a tarp to cover them with in case of rain. Getting there as fast as possible would be my way. Only stops for bathroom. Would pack food as I wouldn't let hubby stop for that either. I'd go to Subway and buy a couple subs for the cooler and something to drink for the humans. A couple books on CD and I'd be set. With two driving shouldn't really be that bad. Oh yeah gotta have my GPS, I get lost in our woods.:lol: Good luck with the move, just do what the others have suggested and it should go well. Have your paperwork ready, have water and hay and vacs up to date and go for it. It will be over before you know it.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great ideas there Queen Mum, I didn't think about a dog harness. They wear collars well, but don't like to walk on a lead too much, A harness would at least stop them from choking themselves when something spooks them.
And I am fully expecting to leave a trail of hay from here to there. hehe

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Extra large dog crates are a possibility. Try looking for one on Craigslist or in the paper. You can probably score one for about $50 to $100.

Tie down the crates so they don't shift around. Stop a lot at rest stops. The harness thing is a good idea. Make sure it fits because critters can slip out easily if it doesn't.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
CoffeeCow said:
My wife is a Veterinarian, she has all the health certificates under control. and they will have scrapie info/tattoos this weekend

I have a 99 ford ranger stepside, I have been looking for a camper shell for it, but they are pretty rare... I may wind up getting or making a dog box like thing for the bed.
I may build a cage/box for them out of wood, that may be the most cost effective way. Cover the top and leave ventilation in the sides. It may not be pretty, but it will work i guess.
Mmm...are you sure you don't want to come a little farther up and live in the North foothills southwest of Boulder or northwest of Denver??? It would be nice to have a veterinarian who knows goats in my area!!
I did something similar to Queen Mum's hauling my kids in the pickup bed to the vet. I had a stall mat and tarp large enough to wrap around the top and side of the cage so the bedding didn't fly all over. The down side was I wouldn't see behind me... If you are handy and plan to build a big box, you may consider getting a small utility trailer 5x8...and build your box on it. It will come in handy for later too and getting the goats on and off would be easier also. Leave the trailer/box with the goats in their pen so they can get used to it and may even go in and out of it.
Good luck with your move!

5675_p1020883.jpg

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The wifes family lives in Longmont (near Mead) If we could have found a job offering closer we would have, but it's only 2 hours away, and that's a LOT better than 30 hours. hehe

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
You really need to stop and don't try to drive straight through. The animals need to move around or they will get pneumonia. AND one more thing. COMPACT BALES. They are much more efficient. NO waste, cheap for what you will use and much more compact, thus the name.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
You really need to stop and don't try to drive straight through. The animals need to move around or they will get pneumonia. AND one more thing. COMPACT BALES. They are much more efficient. NO waste, cheap for what you will use and much more compact, thus the name.
I'll stop to let them out and stretch at rest stops, but I don't think we can find a place to let them out overnight (hotel or whatever).

This should be an interesting trip.. hehe

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Only need to stop once or twice a day. Rest stops should be fine. For an hour or two. Don't need to do it overnight. But some motels do have a back field and that is what a pen is nice for. They can sleep in the truck if you have them penned in the whole bed, then you can let them walk in the morning. I moved in late september last year and it was HOT.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How about finding some National Forrest campgrounds in between and spend a night if you have to? I bet you'll have lots of people asking you what kind of dogs they are!
What kind of goats do you have anyway?