Multiple Breeds, Registries, Herd Names, Oh My!

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am planning on breeding for miniature dairy goats. I am starting off small with only 4 goats and plan to build up, keeping only the best kid. I've raised goats before, but never registered them.

I was hoping for some input on figuring out the frak I am doing. It seemed so sensible in my head, not so much in reality.

My goats, 4:
1 Mini-LaMancha Doe, 2 years old, registered 2nd generation with TMGR
1 ND/? (Alpine, maybe?) mixed breed doe, 4 years old, not registered. I was told the other breed was LaMancha, but the nose and ears are wrong. Alpine seems more likely.
1 Nigerian Dwarf Buck, for breeding the girls, less than a year old, not registered, but hope to register him
1 LaMancha Whether, less than a year old

Later, I hope to add in another ND buck and add an ND Doe.

Herd names, each registry requires one. Is it one herd name per registry per breed then? Do they all crosslink? My head is swirling in confusion. I know I should of just stuck with registered only, but I was overcome with cuteness.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It is easier if you can pick a farm name, herd id and tattoo id that will work for all registries. If possible, it is easier to keep it to as few registries as possible.

You would need to call all the registries and see if what you want is available.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We use "Alice Acres" for all our animals in registry and flock/farm/herd names...even in the dog's registered names.
The lake behind our farm is Lake Alice...hence the name.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
It is easier if you can pick a farm name, herd id and tattoo id that will work for all registries. If possible, it is easier to keep it to as few registries as possible.

You would need to call all the registries and see if what you want is available.

X2, this is what I did.... one for all! Keep it simple. :p

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Simple is best, thanks! I don't have a farm just yet. Everyone, guinea hens, chickens, goats, cats, bunny, and dog, are all on 1/2 acre in the suburbs. I know where I want to be and am working towards that goal. I can sneak in everyone else for now, but I think the mini cows and mini horses may push my neighbors limits. Even the ones with the yappy dogs.

Latest posts