My hatch-Chicken chicks & new silkie cross chick

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok I needed a lift and that funny looking chick did the trick. I have to say I really do like their hair do. I look like that after I done feeding all the funny farm farm. :lol: They really are cute. I love their there color. Ok joking aside. Do chickens get nervess around loud noise??? All of you know that I have the grandkids. And I also have my new chicks too. I have them in the game on one side of the room. They are blocked off from the kids. But can still here them. Anyway I thought at first that they were chirpping because they where to crowded in one cage. So I seprated them in different cages. But they seem to be still chirpping alot. Also I found one chick pecked, so she got a cages, Then yesterday after I got back from shopping, I saw another one pecked. I don't know if she'll make it. And by this afternoon I have 6 cages with chicks set up. So I didn't let the kids play in there today and they settled down alot. including the chripping. Did I really cause my chicks to have a nervess brake down . I feel awful my self. Not to realize what was happening!!!! If I keep the kids out will they get back to normal?????? Farmer kitty, I like your coop it looks good.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The poofy cheeks are the EEs.

Yes, they went back in. Their food and water are in there and those cornish cross are not going to go to long without food. It did take over an hour though.

Mare, If they seemed upset by the kids, then yes, keep the kids out. It maybe just a case of unusual noises.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Nice EE rooster there, Kitty.
My black EE broody is due this Saturday. We shall see what we get out of 10 eggs- all from our chickens. I don't hear any peeping yet! I think I will wait til Friday to enclose her nestbox to keep chicks in. She is nesting 3 ft high in a double size nest box so she should have plenty opf room. I just want to enclose it till the hatch is finished then will move the whole group to an adjacent coop.

On a bright note, since we disposed of the 5 leghorn roosters, we have had no more cases of egg-eating!!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
Nice EE rooster there, Kitty.
My black EE broody is due this Saturday. We shall see what we get out of 10 eggs- all from our chickens. I don't hear any peeping yet! I think I will wait til Friday to enclose her nestbox to keep chicks in. She is nesting 3 ft high in a double size nest box so she should have plenty opf room. I just want to enclose it till the hatch is finished then will move the whole group to an adjacent coop.

On a bright note, since we disposed of the 5 leghorn roosters, we have had no more cases of egg-eating!!
Thank you.

Good luck and remember the pics!

Good news on the no egg eating! I have a 2 year old hen that has started egg eating. She won't be doing it for much longer though. She's going to be packed into jars for future use. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I traded one of my extra roos for one of my neighbor's (sassy) extra silkie/EE pullets. :) None of mine seem to want to go broody and I don't have very good luck with the bator so, I decided to try this little gal.

Silkie.jpg

I know the lightening isn't the greatest so the quality of the pic is lacking but, you can see her.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
laughingllama75 said:
She is pretty.......do I see blue? I hope she is a good hn for you.With silkie in her, you cant go wrong. :D
Yes, I'm told she is blue. Funny, I can't get blue heifer calves but, a blue silkie was no problem! :gig

I know there's no guarantee that she will go broody and set for me but, with being half silkie there should be a good chance. I'm not expecting her to lay much so that won't be a big deal.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
We used a nest of golf balls as encouragement. Who knows if it worked, but I do have a broody! Took about a month tho. You might give it a try:)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
We used a nest of golf balls as encouragement. Who knows if it worked, but I do have a broody! Took about a month tho. You might give it a try:)
It's getting to late here. I don't want to have chicks going into the winter.

Latest posts