My hatch-Chicken chicks & new silkie cross chick

jojo@rolling acres farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, hens can lay twice in a 24 hour period. We had RIR hen that did this for several weeks - and then went back to only once a day.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
laughingllama75 said:
the broodies I have are cochin bantams......mottled, 2 black, a black frizzle and buff. then, one of my production reds became broody. YES, a production red. I only have 2 of them, so I could have big eggs. I think she went mental, with all the broodies around her so she decided to join in. Problem is, she was the one laying 2 eggs a day. darnit! I also have a silkie broody too.
Lucky me. the only one sitting on eggs is the frizzle and now the buff with the showgirl eggs.
LL, what is a showgirl? Breed? Strain? What do they look like?

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
amysflock said:
laughingllama75 said:
the broodies I have are cochin bantams......mottled, 2 black, a black frizzle and buff. then, one of my production reds became broody. YES, a production red. I only have 2 of them, so I could have big eggs. I think she went mental, with all the broodies around her so she decided to join in. Problem is, she was the one laying 2 eggs a day. darnit! I also have a silkie broody too.
Lucky me. the only one sitting on eggs is the frizzle and now the buff with the showgirl eggs.
LL, what is a showgirl? Breed? Strain? What do they look like?
Oh boy...you asked the magic question. OBVIOUSLY you have not seen my other threads on the (mostly over at BYC). Your gonna be sorry you asked. :gig
A showgirl is a variety of silkie, with a naked neck. originally, a silkie was crossed with a turken. Now, they are a variety of silkie.
Bonzaiandgonzo.jpg

gonzo1.jpg

showgirls.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
laughingllama75 said:
What? Did I scare everyone off with the pics of my little buzzards? :hit
No, I'm here. They are cute in their own way but, sorry, I'm just not all that crazy for them. Of course, that means, I won't be pestering you for them either. They are safe! :D

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Kitty, I like my birds fully feathered. MReit did have a frizzle that was a bit interesting. Apparently the fox had it for dinner the other day.
I am trying to get an urge for a silkie, but it just isn't happening. I guess I am a fuddyduddy when it comes to chickens.
Now... a welsummer... I want those dark red eggs!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I like the showgirls!

I told a friend about them awhile back and she has been pestering me ever since to find her some! I really believe her Hubby would shoot me if I found her some!

I have a frizzle cross roo, I am really debating on keeping! He's just plain cool! But, I would have to keep a hen for him!
Then she would go broody, then I would have more tiny egg laying broodies, then...................................................................

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OH. I see how it is. Your all just a bunch of haters. :tongue Except Thewife. :celebrate
FINE :hit

:lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig

ETA, I would have taken comments, good or bad. I know they are not for everyone....I have hairless chinese crested dogs, so I have thick skin! :)

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
LOL, my niece has Chinese Crested dogs too. Mine... is 100 lbs, black and so much thick wavy hair you can stuff a pillow when you clip:)
And she doesn't yap;)

Different strokes for different folks! Viva la nonconformity!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I cleaned the chick coop yesterday. They would stand at the door and look in but, they wouldn't go in. They were chicken chicks..er...scardy chicks. :gig

Chickenchicks.jpg

Here is the one that is going to be my new roo.
Newroo.jpg

And one of the pullets-I'm keeping her.
Pullet.jpg

Latest posts