My hatch-Chicken chicks & new silkie cross chick

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some of the older ones use the roost. I would put the roost in and then they can use it/or not depending on what they want. I don't expect the cornish cross ones will ever use it. They already are so plump!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I"m celebrating!
One of my hen's is finally broody!!
I gave Cleo's Friend a dozen marked eggs this morning. We shall see how she does as a broody. I chose mostly the eggs from Goldilocks because she consistently produces big green eggs. The blues from Cleo's Friend and Spreckles are smaller in size.
I am just a little miffed that she isn't a week earlier so my Texas Grands could see hatching chicks during their visit. We will have to settle for candling.

But I really want a Welsummer hen.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations! I can't seem to get a broody, I jealous!
:fl for a good hatch and remember the pics. ;)

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wish we lived closer. I have 7 broodies right now. :he I would let you HAVE one, just to stop me from having to take her off an empty nest. Though, I did get some showgirl and silkie eggs today at a swap..... :drool :love
21 days and counting. :woot

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
WOW, SEVEN broodies! What do you do? What breeds are broody for you?
I only have 4 EE hens. We put a dozen golf balls in one nest about a month ago. I don't know if that helped to trigger this or not, but it's worth a try, Kitty. The hens did lay in with the golf balls now and then, but not consistently.
as for pics... sigh. I haven't figured out this new MAC yet. For as techy as I have to be at work, I get frustrated at home. Maybe it's because I live with a techy and he just zoom zoom zoomz.

I also caught one of the 5 leghorn roosters that HAVE to go VERY soon. They are too annoying. They are about 12 weeks old but not much but skin and bones. I CraigsListed them as a freebie and the only response I got smelled like cockfighting, so I ignored it:(
What's more useless than a leghorn rooster?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a leghorn rooster. He was one of the original ones that the lady that ordered the chicks didn't pick up. He was good eating! :D

Mine are laying, just not going broody. :(

Hopefully, next year I will have a broody. I'm eyeing up a silkie pullet the neighbor hatched--at least we're hoping it's a pullet. I need to get different pics and get them up on BYC.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
the broodies I have are cochin bantams......mottled, 2 black, a black frizzle and buff. then, one of my production reds became broody. YES, a production red. I only have 2 of them, so I could have big eggs. I think she went mental, with all the broodies around her so she decided to join in. Problem is, she was the one laying 2 eggs a day. darnit! I also have a silkie broody too.
Lucky me. the only one sitting on eggs is the frizzle and now the buff with the showgirl eggs.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, I hate to disagree with you, BUT....I only have 2 large chickens (both proction red birds). I get 3 eggs a day, and IF I DONT, I get one double yolker. EVERY TIME. it has happened since they started laying, since about march.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
MReit wants cochin banties. She ordered some this spring and they now free range, but have been decimated by their local fox population. So she has 3 hens and 2 roosters left. She is talking about more after they move the chicken coop closer to the house. No use feeding foxes!

Kitty, my son tried eating a year old leghorn and found it super tough. We are still debating grilling these 5 this SAturday during his brother's wedding picnic. It may depend upon whether I have time to *prepare* the birds.

Latest posts