Nest ripped apart. 4 kits dead - 2 survived

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
RJSchaefer said:
We bit the bullet, protected our arms, and brought mama in to feed the babies. She sat still as soon as they latched on like a CHAMP! She's usually very mean and hates to be held, but not this time. She just laid on my lap without a twitch while they nursed.

Fingers crossed this works and this will keep up at least for the next two weeks. I've read after that hand rearing is a lot easier.

GREAT! Good luck! This way usually ends up being the very best. :thumbsup

RJSchaefer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The spotted one died this morning. :(

The black one is still kicking. It nursed hungrily but never acted satisfied. Is it possible her milk is drying up? Should I start supplementing with the KMR?

RJSchaefer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh! I almost forgot. On Mama, she's losing her mind. She's still ripping fur and is just acting all out sorts. Very sedate compared to her normal behavior, although a still averse to being held.

Last night when we brought her in to nurse, she started chewing on my jeans, the towel and the couch itself. Any ideas?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would still try to have the kit feed on mamma twice a day, but you can supplement during the middle part of the day with KMR.

Sometimes the hormones from pregnancy can make the mammas go a little crazy for a while. She should settle down after a while.

Hope your little one makes it!

Sycamore27

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If the kit wasn't seeming full I would check for how full the belly is getting to gauge if formula is needed. Keep it nursing from momma morning and evening even if you have to supplement with formula to keep those antibodies and such coming to the bun. Be careful with the eye dropper if you go that route, they are harder to control the flow than a syringe. Make sure baby is belly down with its neck only slightly bent when hand feeding, you don't want it reaching up or its neck curved sharply down while eating or you're increasing risk of problems with aspiration. I've used a 1 ml syringe with a inch or so piece of rubber catheter fitted onto the tip for a nipple to hand feed before, the nipple part helped a lot and prevents tooth issues from attempts to bite the plastic as their teeth are just growing in.
Good luck!
Jessie