NEW BABIES HITTING THE GROUND

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Seems like our Spanish influenced commercial does are oblivious to the recent ice/ snow we have been bombarded with. We have had the bulk of our kids born in this bad weather complete with freezing temps, freezing rain, and windy conditions and our Spanish goats are tough as nails even in the worst of conditions they are programmed to survive. Mostly they have kidded either in the brush, in the cedar thickets or in one of our portable shelters in each of our paddocks. So far 16 kids- 9 last week and 7 week before last. We will have several Spanish influenced herdsire prospects (from 50% Spanish- 100% Spanish) weaned and ready for their new homes in late May 2015 and probably ready for service by September 2015. We'll keep y'all updated.
:celebrate:weee:thumbsup

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So sorry for the loss of the doe. :hugs That is the worst. Loosing babies sucks but you kind of expect a few in an operation as large as yours. Loosing mommas, you don't plan on that. :hit We had one get herself tangled in the electric net while giving birth a few years ago. Fortunately for us Jack cleaned up the babies and kept them warm and we were able to cut the doe loose in time. She took a few days to get back to normal but we still have her.

Congrats on all the kids. I showed hubby what you have and he had to remind me we agreed to no new goats for at least two years. :hu

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry for the loss of the doe. :hugs That is the worst. Loosing babies sucks but you kind of expect a few in an operation as large as yours. Loosing mommas, you don't plan on that. :hit We had one get herself tangled in the electric net while giving birth a few years ago. Fortunately for us Jack cleaned up the babies and kept them warm and we were able to cut the doe loose in time. She took a few days to get back to normal but we still have her.

Congrats on all the kids. I showed hubby what you have and he had to remind me we agreed to no new goats for at least two years. :hu

but you can always use that time to research ;)

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Jodief100,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you had a good outcome with your doe in labor. If you talk "hubby" into getting some goats, I do a 10% discount for all fellow Backyardherds.com members. It's not a huge discount, but this site and its forums have been a wealth of information that has helped on several occasions so I figure I should give a little back. Check our Facebook page and website for pics of goats for sale starting in May. We usually kid out in January/ February and then a few in October as well to have for our Middle Eastern and Nigerian customers for their holidays.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Im so glad to hear things are picking up. Hope you will have some pics for us....or at least I will go see your FB page. I may send you a friend request!!
Yeah, send me a friend request. I would have already posted a bunch of pics but we are getting hit with another 5" of snow on top of the 5-6 we already have. Doesn't sound like a lot, but Tennessee usually doesn't see this type of snowfall but once every several years so we aren't as snow savvy as our northern goat producer counterparts. I do know that our shorter Nube/ Spanish may be dragging their udders through the snow if this keeps up. I may see if my great aunt who knits can knit some udder cozies. LOL!