New to Goats - Just got 2

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I picked up 2 goats this past weekend from a local petting zoo type place. I thought coming from a place like this they would be a little more friendly. We have tried giving them treats and feed but they are not too interested in either. Any Suggestions to get them more comfortable?

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here they are

485654_4206238487483_2142702700_n.jpg

578578_4206231687313_1401754623_n.jpg

Tmaxson

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are very nice looking goats.

As far as them getting used to you, just give it time. Keep trying to give them treats, mine love sweet gum leaves and eventually they will be all over you. When we first got our goats (they were very young and scared) we just took chairs out and sat there with them. They would come up and see if we were ok and then run off if we tried to touch them. I want to say it took several weeks before they were comfortable with us. I also got an older doe who was very shy and it took her about 6 months but now she is a loveable sweetheart.

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think they are Pygmy's can anyone confirm? The taller one is the male. He is much more curious and is willing to sniff what I offer him. The female may be pregnant and is much more reluctant. He seems to try to protect her a little. I also want to build a small temporary yard form them in the woods so they can eat brush. What would you reccommend for size? Later the fall I will be fencing in an 80x80ft area. Would a 20x20 area be too small?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Likely they are nigerian dwarfs. The colors aren't typical for pygmies, plus they are taller than a pygmy would be.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
Likely they are nigerian dwarfs. The colors aren't typical for pygmies, plus they are taller than a pygmy would be.
Oh yeah, they are definitively Nigerian Dwarf Goats. They have Nigerian ears and horns. Pygmy horns are very different.

Do you have a weight on them and if you could a height from ground to withers. That will confirm whether or not they are Nigerians.

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yea, I vote for possible Nigerian dwarfs and absolutely beautiful! When planning that pen, 20 x 20 should be a good start, but be sure to make all plans with expansion in mind. Having goats becomes a passion and they do multiply. My herd began with Just Two! Get down to interact with them at ground level and have a few raisins in hand. They will love you in no time.

Latest posts