Newbie Question.....

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
bigcat said:
I bought some loose minerals yesterday and well as some hay. She ate the hay when I gave it to her but I dont think the had tried the minerals yet. I gave her a big scoop of the pellets a couple days agao and she finally finished them off by this mornig so I put another scoop in there.
She may not eat the minerals right away or as often as you may think. Don't leave a large portion out if you live in a humid area or it may get wet and your goat will not want to eat sogy minerals. As for treats or any new food, my goats usually will ignore them. I would leave them out or mix some in their feeds and eventually they will eat it. Sometimes food they ate before...they would change their minds and not want them anymore. Mine likes craisins and the pellet goat treats from Mana Pro. One of them likes salted peanuts still in shells and the other...depending on his mood, I guess....
Do you just have one goat??? When you are ready...consider getting your goat another goat buddy. Evne if you can spend a lot of time with your current goat, nothing can replaced the 24/7 goat companionship.
Have fun with your girl. They are very addicting...most of us here want more and more and more goats if we can.... :ep

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just one right now her brother just died saturday. Looking to get two more very soon.

jenlynn4

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this and asking these questions. I am getting 2 goats myself soon and am also looking for info on what to feed. This has been most helpful. So sorry to hear you lost the brother :(

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Don't know what he died from. THey got out a couple days earlier and Im thinking he might have ate something he shouldnt have. No really sure. He went quick. She seemsx fine just lonely. Gonna look at some other goats tomorrow. Anything I should know about putting two new goats with her?

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When I got my first two goats, the seller was well into her 90s and had had goats for her entire life. I knew NOTHING. She told me that daily maintenance should include 6 things...a good grain once or twice a day, free choice quality hay, pasture grazing whenever possible, access to goat minerals and baking powder and fresh water. I have abided and have a herd of healthy goats today!

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I picked up 2 more goats this weekend. When I went to get them I asked what they were feeding them. THey gave me a few pounds of what they were feeding. It was a mix of pellets and Whole oats. I asked about the oats and was told he buys them from a local farmer to help cut the cost of his feed b/c they have so many goats. What are your thoughts on the oats?

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bigcat said:
I picked up 2 more goats this weekend. When I went to get them I asked what they were feeding them. THey gave me a few pounds of what they were feeding. It was a mix of pellets and Whole oats. I asked about the oats and was told he buys them from a local farmer to help cut the cost of his feed b/c they have so many goats. What are your thoughts on the oats?
Any Opinions?

Nathan Sampson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The oats will be fine I once bought 2 goat off a man who fed his large herd cotton seed. I feed mine all stock feed when i had a lot of different animals to feed and it was cheaper than goat feed and with the minerals out there and browse a goat will do its thing and be healthy and happy.