Odd udder *Patricia had her baby!!!* **PICS pg3**

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Outside of B'ham, AL. :)

Looks like she's actually getting some milk out of the small teat.... Um... I've never milked a goat and although I have watched videos I tried to get some milk out of the bigger teat and nothing happened. I tried getting some saliva from the kid to put on there and still nothing. :hide And that side is tight. :/ Help!

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You really need to get some milk out of that side... Is it hard, is it hot? Do you have any buddies who know how to milk goats that you could call over? Is somebody able to hold her up against a wall or a gate while you try to milk it out?

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's a little hard and warm. I'm sure it could be worse but I'm going to have my husband take a look. If he can't get any to come out I do know someone I can call. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I think w/out an 'experienced' milker (human) around, your best bet would be to have her seen by a vet, ASAP.

If I were closer, I'd help you....but online I can't 'feel' the udder, that would be the only way I'd know how to go about advising you where to go from here.

It could be mastitis, it could be congestion, it could be that she's not letting the milk down, and it could be she's kidded before and the teat is plugged but otherwise fine, in which case some good squeezes might remove the plug....but again, I can't tell that from way up here in IN, darn it.

Good luck, and that kid IS gorgeous!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Gorgeous baby! Congrats! :clap

Have you tried practicing on a rubber glove? Fill it with water and poke a tiny hole in one end of the fingers. Turn it upside down and practice pinching off the top with two fingers and "rolling" the other ones down to get the water out the tip of the finger.

This is what it will be like on the teat, only usually you have to squeeze a little harder. You do need to relieve some pressure on the teat the baby isn't using; if it goes too long it could turn into mastitis.

Have you tried tying her up and holding the baby to that side to see if she can get the hang of it?

Hope this helps a little!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pretty little girl! What did you name her? Something about her reminds me of a little girl (Ishmaella) on my bus (probably those long legs).

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Someone is suppose to come by today to help me with her. :fl She's had milking goats for a while now so she is experienced.

We did choose a name. :D Cookies'N'Cream.... Cookie for short. :D Someone suggested Oreo but not only does it not fit her but my sister had a cat named Oreo once and I don't like to reuse names. :p

Patricia's Cookie..... :lol:

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, and... I didn't try tying her up. I made the mistake of trying to hold her still by her collar (against a wall) and put the baby up to her. Not only did Cookie not nurse but I tore my hand up trying to keep Patricia still, there was some fencing at the edge of the wall. My hand REALLY hurts today. :/

TinyHouses

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Congrats on the lovely doeling!!! Let us know how milking goes & how the wayward teat makes out!