Omolene 400 and 500

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Anyone try any of these? I picked up the 400 to try to help boost one of my daughter's older performance horse. He needs just a bit more weight and energy. It is high in beet pulp and that is hard to find alone down here. Too early to see any results.

Just curious if anyone else is trying out these newer feeds.

appytaz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I haven't try Omolene - But I do feed Manna Pro Senior to keep weight up & I love it!

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We used to feed omelene sweet feed to our horses, but I don't think it was the same as the 400 or 500. It was quite awhile ago, so I can't even tell you what exactly the type was.

Interestingly enough someone was just talking about a weight supplement at my ambulance building. They recommended a product called "Fat Cat". Our older gelding also needs some weight put on him and we have tried different things. Recently we had him on senior feed, but he was eating all the other horses' feed too and they would eat his. We have to find a way to separate him out before we can try any type of supplement. I believe fat cat is a powder like supplement that you sprinkle on top of their food.

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This gelding I am trying this on is already getting two scoops morning and night of Purina Equine Senior. Plus joint supplements and red cell. Free choice coastal hay, full time pasture and a flake of alfalfa a day. That may seem a lot, but he is competiting every weekend and practed at least once a week, but ridden a lot during the week. So we are talking major activity here. He has gained quite a bit since we got him last year and is muscling up nicely, but our cutting trainer and I both would like just a bit more on him. I haven't had any luck with weight supplements in the past, so I lean more towards adding beet pulp and more hay. However, he is already on a lot of hay (good quality too) and we have a problem of getting beet pulp down here.

Just curious if anyone had tried the new Omolene 400 and 500. The old versions 100, 200 and 300 are still around. I feed the youngins the 200 and they do well on it. For me our Purina dealer is the best kept feed store around. They have it clean and bug free. Our Nutrena and a couple others are just horrible with bugs and lack of stock in general.

Cara

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We've used the 200 but not the 400 or 500.

The best feed i've found to date is Ultium. We feed it to my 2yr old filly as the others tend to bully her off the feed, and it is incredible. Her coat is beautiful, she puts on weight just looking at it, and she doesn't get 'silly'.

We've given up on Nutrena. Their Youth feed has a very strange odour to it, like tropical fruit. Nothing will touch it. They'd rather eat their hay than SafeChoice. Even my goats and chickens won't touch Nutrena products!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer Purina Hi Fat Hi Fibre, but I've heard they're not carrying that anymore but instead carry a similar product... Equiline or something? It really helped bulk up our pony. I still don't understand why people feed beet pulp except for maybe in the winter months. It doesn't do *a lot* to help weight gain and infact is all sugar, so while you think you're fattening up your horse, you're infact making them hot. I would stick with a Hi Fat Hi Fibre and, a weight gain formula is probably going to do more for you than a senior formula will, although you could mix senior and weight gain. The TB mare we have here right now is on the thin side and is getting 3/4 scoop of Hi Fat Hi Fibre and 1/4 scoop of Sweetfeed plus 24 hour pasture and free choice hay once a week here, she started gaining weight the first week here.

Oklabarrelracer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Have you thought about adding corn or soy oil to his diet ? My 21 year old barrel horse got down in June & lost about 500 LBS. He was at the equine hosp for 3 days. The vets there suggested putting him on a 1/2 cup of corn oil "started with 1/4 cup & worked up" along with equine senior for weight gain & energy. He got better & gained his weight back. I also feed the Moormans Growstrong Minerals & swear by them. All my horse's are on it. Anyway think about the corn oil. It worked for Stewart.