Our goat shelter... in progress *new pics*

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, the people who used to live in this house raised alpacas, or so I've been told. They had this shelter which is not in the best shape- but I think it will do. We figure with a little work it will be our goat barn. Here are the pics of it after a tiny bit of work, nothing cosmetic, just some repairs to some broken framing, etc.
I know it's not big, but I think it will do fine for 2 goats, right?
4182_dscn3682.jpg

4182_dscn3689.jpg

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We're thinking we're going to make a door for the big opening on the right, cover the middle row on the left with welded wire, and make a shutter for the larger top opening on the left side. That way when we put them in for the night, a coyote wouldn't be able to get at them. Do you think it's ok to leave that middle section welded wire with no cover? We're in So. Cal., so we don't have harsh winters or anything- how are they with the cold? Thanks! :D

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, it would be a great idea to make it all closed in so predators couldn't get to them at night.

I go out at dusk and lock mine in for the night. They get a treat of apple slices and a little petting before bedtime.

Goats are very smart and very affectionate. What kind are you getting?

DonnaBelle

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are getting a doe and a wether- Boer x Oberhasli. They're a little over 4 months old and we pick them up on the 20th!

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
thats going to be a fantastic home for your goats... I love how dry it looks.... All i see here is mud!!!:barnie

Can't wait to see pictures of your new kids :pop

TwoGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If the goats have a decent fence pen then you may not need to add a door. We have 4 ft. no climb fence with a strand of barb wire up around 52" high. Add alot of straw or pine bark for the flooring to keep mud under control. Ours has wood planks to keep things up and draining during heavy rains. I would enclose the left front with a couple of those pre painted exterior plywood panels. This will keep drafts down and rains from blowing in if they come from that direction. Our goat house opens to a three sided overhang where I feed hay bales (keeps them dry during rains and snows). Great start you got there and good luck with those goats!

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The yard area they are in is enclosed by a 5' chainlink fence, so I'm not sure how secure that is. I haven't seen them myself, but rumor has it we have a little pack of coyotes living up in the hills behind our house (our neighbors say they see them occasionally), but I don't know that they've ever bothered anyone's dogs or other livestock around us. We just want to be careful, especially while they are still on the little side. We'll see, though- we're for sure putting a cover over that top left and more of an overhang either on the front or added to the shade that already extends from the side (it's pretty narrow and we'd like it to be wider to provide more shade/shelter.
Thanks for all the input!