Peteyfoozer’s Journey (because journaling’s not enough)

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welp, grabbed the last few things (Boone’s bowl, steaks for the cooler, 8 dozen fresh eggs, my pillows and blankets) and off we went. Boone did amazing!! He didn’t seem at all stressed, and spent the first 30 miles (all dirt/gravel noisy rough road!) laying quietly in his soft crate smiling at me in the rear view mirror. Then the dam. oil light went on.
:he
An hour later, we are back at the ranch while Randy changes the sensor and tries to figure if there is anything else going on.
STRESSED!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welp, grabbed the last few things (Boone’s bowl, steaks for the cooler, 8 dozen fresh eggs, my pillows and blankets) and off we went. Boone did amazing!! He didn’t seem at all stressed, and spent the first 30 miles (all dirt/gravel noisy rough road!) laying quietly in his soft crate smiling at me in the rear view mirror. Then the dam. oil light went on.
:he
An hour later, we are back at the ranch while Randy changes the sensor and tries to figure if there is anything else going on.
STRESSED!
No, no ,no --- not stressed -- yeah not the start you thought would happen but at least you weren't 5 hours down the road when the light came on!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m always happy to have an incident close to home. Beats paying a wrecker. Perhaps take a “break down” kit for you and Boone for just in case. Don’t let it dampen your spirits!
Me too... Totally agree....would rather the breakdown close to home any day....

New cars break down and they will literally SHUT DOWN.... electronic garbage.... that was just a little blip for you... no panic, just drive it back home and get him to fix it... then get up and go again....

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Orher than warning light for engine continually blinking, and an alarming looking trianle with a car in it followed by bacon warning me there was no traction :hide the drive was fairly uneventful. We stopped at the 30 mile mark, then the 3 hr mark, another 3 hour mark at a rest stop, all at Boone’s request. He handled it well, spending most of the time in his crate, occasional putting his front end on the console to see where we were going. At each stop, we took relief, and Boone enjoyed a 5-10 minute sniffari to help him stay relaxed, and we would continue on. The vehicle was running rough when idling the entire trip. Halfway down I-80 just as we left the last rest stop, we got caught up in a snarl of about 200 cars fully stopped on highway due to a bad accident. They closed the road and we were there for an hour and a half. I needed ear buds to hear the driving directions because my hearing is so poor, I can hear the phone or radio speaking but can’t make out the words. I was worried the batteries on them would go dead, so used them sparingly until the last hour of driving. That made it a little stressful for me once we got into the Folsom area with lots of traffic. I’m not used to being in. My GPS went haywire and was taking me to weird places with dead end roads. El Dorado has a distressing lack of street signs, the ‘burb was grinding everytime I turned a corner, ran rougher than ever and felt like the whole undercarriage was going to fall off. Boone was stoic, but by the time I arrived at my cousin’s house I was vibrating like a hummingbird and could have used a stiff drink, a valium or a joint (no, I don’t, but I could have, I was that bad) I had to settle for water.
While exploring the small backyard in their mobile home park, their elderly muzzle wearing, Jack Russell attempted to decapitate Boone , who was thrilled at the possibility of playing (but of course was disappointed as Cole is now spending our visit in solitary confinement in the master bedroom) and Boone discovered what a stinky flybag is. He came around the corner with what looked like mud in his front legs, neck and chest. He reeked. They thought is was pig poop. Nope. Flybag. So Boone got the first bath of his life at 11 mo old, under protest, after an 11 hour long 7 hour drive.
I’m grateful, so very grateful the day is over

IMG_0226.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, after that -- things have to go better 😂 at least the flybag part!! Wowsers. Hope you have a day or two to unwind now

For me, if I see or hear a vehicle " thing"....it's like, I gotta find it to know it's ok. I have a truck rattle, after a bump, and I'll jack it to find what's "loose". Most often these things are minor but, annoying. Hope that's all yours is :fl

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
YAY!! You're on your trip and doing well (at least from this end of it) Boone and the flybag :lol: :lol: :lol: he wanted to give some comic relief! And ya' know after the trip he'll be a PRO at any trips you take even the ones that he hasn't liked before.
HA -- Obi DH and I did a Mini Takes The States thing --- for us it was CA to WY back to CA in .... a Mini Cooper!