PG or what?

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It doesn't sound funny. Java has been the more friendly of the two and I pet her a lot more than Nutmeg will allow me to pet her. Don't know how to ignore preggers (Java) when Nutmeg won't come and let me pet her like Java will. I am trying to be patient and TRYING to divide time and affection but Nutmeg isn't making this to easy. Knowing Java is pg I do give her more attention and Nutmeg has been showing signs of jealousy. I thought the head butting was something that they all did but sometimes I think Nutmeg goes a little over board. She will go for Java's sides and I am afraid that will cause problems for the kid(s) in the long run. So I have been trying NOT to pay so much attention to Java and trying to get Nutmeg to come for a chin rub more. Any suggestions on something else I could be doing? Appreciate any thoughts here. Deb

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Remember, patience to a goat can take several months. Houdini, my little LaMancha Buck took all the way from October until now to come around to eating out of my hand and Jelly Bean, my Nigerian Dwarf Doe is JUST NOW starting to trust me. I got her in November.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Went out a little while ago and took the last box of raisins we had. Grand daughter was upset cuz' those were for her snack today. But she got over it when I said we would go and buy more.
Nutmeg stood back as I sat down and opened the box but as soon as Java got near me, nutmeg came running up and smelled to see what I had. She nudge Java out of the way and ate most of what I had in my hand and wanted more. As soon as Java walked off, Nutmeg lost interest as well BUT she did let me scratch her chin and I found a tick on her neck and I got that off. Wonder if that is why she looks so thin and skinny to me? Maybe because I see Java fat, I think Nutmeg looks thin. ANYWAY, I got to hand feed Nutmeg so that was progress. I have nothing but time since I don't work and am home most of the time. When Java gets closer to having her kid(s), I will stay real close since it is both hers and my first time. Don't want anything to happen to her or the baby(ies). Will have LOTS more questions when the time gets closer.

I do have one question. After Java eats, she will come over to me and want some attention and then will look at me in the face and burp the smelliest odor I have ever smelled. IS she eating to much or because she is pg she doesn't digest as well? Don't know why I get the pleasure of the burp but guess she feels comfortable enough to do it in my face. LOL

I will take what you have said and apply it to my daily routine and spend time with the girls out in the area but try and make sure they get equal time. Still worried about the head butting on the sides but what can I do? I can't be out there all day. THANKS, Deb

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mitransplant said:
Went out a little while ago and took the last box of raisins we had. Grand daughter was upset cuz' those were for her snack today. But she got over it when I said we would go and buy more.
Nutmeg stood back as I sat down and opened the box but as soon as Java got near me, nutmeg came running up and smelled to see what I had. She nudge Java out of the way and ate most of what I had in my hand and wanted more. As soon as Java walked off, Nutmeg lost interest as well BUT she did let me scratch her chin and I found a tick on her neck and I got that off. Wonder if that is why she looks so thin and skinny to me? Maybe because I see Java fat, I think Nutmeg looks thin. ANYWAY, I got to hand feed Nutmeg so that was progress. I have nothing but time since I don't work and am home most of the time. When Java gets closer to having her kid(s), I will stay real close since it is both hers and my first time. Don't want anything to happen to her or the baby(ies). Will have LOTS more questions when the time gets closer.

I do have one question. After Java eats, she will come over to me and want some attention and then will look at me in the face and burp the smelliest odor I have ever smelled. IS she eating to much or because she is pg she doesn't digest as well? Don't know why I get the pleasure of the burp but guess she feels comfortable enough to do it in my face. LOL

I will take what you have said and apply it to my daily routine and spend time with the girls out in the area but try and make sure they get equal time. Still worried about the head butting on the sides but what can I do? I can't be out there all day. THANKS, Deb
Nobody can be 'there' all the time, but when you are there, Take a spray bottle of water with you. Headbutting to the sides, or belly butting should be immediately addressed with a nice wet face. Goats hate it. It takes vigilance, and LOTS of time, but you can get them to stop. Not sure what the burping in your face is about. Never heard that one before....leave it to a goat.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, we had a big break through today. After my granddaughter left the goat area and things calmed down a bit, Nutmeg walked over to me and sniffed my hand and then moved in so that I could scratch her chin and neck. I even got to scratch her back and backside but not to much. I will take these small steps just to win her confidence. I talked to her calmly the whole time I was scratching her. She must have stood there about 4 or 5 minutes. She even accepted the little bite of apple I offered her. Must be she doesn't like little kids since she wont let me touch her when ever Adison is around. Small steady steps. This weekend I will have all day Saturday and most of Sunday to spend out there with them. I still can't get them to stop the head butting thought. They just run around the area and then head back for each other and do it again. I need longer arms! LOL I am happy though with Nutmegs progress.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
YAY for progress. I know the first time Dusty left me sit and pet her like that I could have jumped for joy. It is a great feeling. As for the head butting, as long as they are using just their heads, and not getting really serious to hurt each other, that is the way goats play, sort out arguments and decide herd status. It is only when they hit sides or bellies that we step in.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have another question. Went out this after noon and Java had a light yellowish discharge coming out of her like a human woman with a yeast infection. Could it just be a yeast infection and if so what should I do? Not much discharge but enough that I saw it. It was rather warm today, enough that my buck rabbit died I assume from the heat. Kind of concerned about Java since you all think she is only about 3 months. WAY to soon to be having the baby(ies). Thanks to who ever answers. Deb

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She may be closer to 4 months along and that would be her mucus plug. They lose it 6 weeks to 2 hrs before labor. Mine seem to average about 2 weeks before.

Start watching her udder for changes.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Her udder looks fuller today than it did yesterday. I don't want to get my hopes up that she is having it/then sooner. I just thought it might be from the heat we had today. I guess I need to get my kidding kit together sooner than I thought , maybe. THANKS. Deb

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
3514_000_1113.jpg

3514_000_1111.jpg

These were taken this morning. What does it look like to you all? Wondering now if she might be closer to delivering than predicted at three months. Curious. Deb