Photography~Wild Birds

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful! Check out those needle-talons. Makes me want to go try and nab a photo of a kestral. I see them ALL the time perched on the telephone wires, just never when I have my camera :rolleyes:

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
Absolutely beautiful! Check out those needle-talons. Makes me want to go try and nab a photo of a kestral. I see them ALL the time perched on the telephone wires, just never when I have my camera :rolleyes:
How about you put your camera by the window where you see them ??? Then, WHA-LA !! You are able to quick grab it and *whisper*,"Show it to us !!!" :D

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Redtailgal, of course I snapped up lots of pictures...does this help? Thanks!! :)
IMG5366cropedit-L.jpg

IMG5395cropedit-L.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
Coops and Sharpies are pretty hard to ID, even in person.

If the bird was closer to the size of a dove, it would have been a sharpie. A crow sized bird would usually indicate a Cooper's hawk, but even that can sometimes lead to an improperly id'ed bird. There can be some overlap in the sizes. The cooper's hawk that I had was small and could have been labeled a sharpie, he was id'ed based on mannerisms.

All that said, I am tending to agree with you......its a sharpie.

either way, love the pics.

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Coops and Sharpies are pretty hard to ID, even in person.

If the bird was closer to the size of a dove, it would have been a sharpie. A crow sized bird would usually indicate a Cooper's hawk, but even that can sometimes lead to an improperly id'ed bird. There can be some overlap in the sizes. The cooper's hawk that I had was small and could have been labeled a sharpie, he was id'ed based on mannerisms.

All that said, I am tending to agree with you......its a sharpie.

either way, love the pics.
I was trying to describe it to my mom, and I actually said it was about the size of a mourning dove to describe it...so that sounds right. :D

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My trap finally worked!!! Okay, so after this thread started, I missed my bird feeders that I had up at the old house, so I got a couple put up. Well with the strange weather, there is kind of plenty of food out there and it is taking forever for the birds to find the feeder. Had some sparrows on it, but everytime I opened the blind and got my camera they were gone. So I am sitting here on the computer and I hear a birdie so I look up, and the cutest chickadee is on the feeder, so I wait till he flys off (the feeder is on my big window) and open the blind, get the camera and wait for him to come back. Well he landed in the tree and and I got some photos. This was the best one....

Chicadee.jpg

I am so excited! I love chiackadees, they are tied with nuthatches for my favorite bird :D

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great photo, DKRabbitry!! Chickadees never sit still for long, so they are difficult to get a good pic of. I am so happy that you have been inspired to get the feeders out and capture some bird photos! Keep sharing. :)

On a side note, my yard (half open field/half wooded) has been very active with birds the last week. Everyone loves that suet feeder. Also had a new bird sighting here, a pair of red-shouldered hawks. I didn't have my camera on me, but they landed on a tree branch about 25 ft above the house. So fun to watch, but it terrified the poor chickens. They were all hiding under their elevated coop, except the rooster, who stood motionless with the hackles on the back of his neck standing up. I don't know how they learn which birds to be afraid of. Hmm, can you tell I LOVE birds? Lol...

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Gotta go break out the feeder and get some chickadees 'round here. Or get a shot of the multi-million.. oh daggone, cannot think of it! Well it has 2 white stripes on its tail when it flies on either side, and it nests on the ground. I cannot tell you how many times i walked by the chicken coop and like 20 shot into the air!!! Erg, makes me wish we had a better camera!

Fried Chicken, shut up, and fly out here so i can get a shot of you. You shouldve let the hawk stayed, hes prettier (mocking our neighborhood Raven)

AdamBorzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They are all beautiful... keep 'em coming... :D

Latest posts