premature calf

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just had a calf born 1 month early. It is very tiny. the mama cow is bellowing alot. Should i bring the calf to the house and start bottle feeding? I have some goat colostrum can I use that ?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
memela said:
Just had a calf born 1 month early. It is very tiny. the mama cow is bellowing alot. Should i bring the calf to the house and start bottle feeding?
Not a cow person, but why is the mama cow bellowing? Is she upset about the tiny calf? Maybe she knows there's a problem, being born premature, and she is being vocal about it?

I definitely would start bottle feeding. Some animals will reject a premature or not quite right baby. Maybe bottle feeding is better for both baby and mom, so mom can calm down.

Just a thought. Hope someone with more experience will reply.

Good luck with the new baby! :)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Definitely give the calf COW colostrum, NOT goat colostrum. If the calf can stand on it's own, and the cow licks it and seems to like it, try to have the calf suck from the cow's udder if it's big enough.

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The calf is too small to stand. We brought her to the barn. We gave her cow colostrum & turning her from side to side every hour. She did suck the colostrum. The mama has rejected her she didn't follow after the baby just turned and walked away. She might weigh 30 lbs. I just don't know what kind of milk to give her. Replacer are regular milk?

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you have access to cows milk, I would use that ahead of milk replacer. Regardless of which you use, make sure the milk is 100 degrees before feeding it. I would only give it a pint due twice a day because of its size. If it sucks, that is much better than tubing it. Also, make sure it stays warm enough. It needs to maintain body heat so make sure it is warm enough. Is there a possibility that the calf may be a twin?

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't have access to any cow milk wish I did.I will try her on the replacer she did suck down the colostrum it was in a tube we got at the feed store. I don't think she has a twin but I will go check around again. We are keeping 16 cows for our cousin that lives in Oklahoma because of the drought there. They are all pregnant and probably the stress from the 10 hour ride down here they are all comming into labor this one was not due till last of Sept. Thank you so much.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I dont know anything about cows. AT ALL
BUT is it possible to milk the mom and give the baby that milk if you dont have access to anything else? What breed of cow is it? Is it possible it was a standard female cow bred to a mini dad. The baby would be smaller then. I doubt it would still be a month early but maybe something like that has to do with it???

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not possible to milk the cow They are shorthorn herfords. I too know nothing about cows just goats. But I'm learning very quickly about cows. I just got her to drink 9 0zs of milk. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just don't know how often to feed her. Anyone have any feedback would appreciate very much

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
memela said:
Not possible to milk the cow They are shorthorn herfords. I too know nothing about cows just goats. But I'm learning very quickly about cows. I just got her to drink 9 0zs of milk. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just don't know how often to feed her. Anyone have any feedback would appreciate very much
You CAN milk her. You just have to restrain her in a head catch or medina gate of some sort (with her haltered) in order to milk her. Milking a beef cow is no different than milking a dairy cow, except that beef cows are not accustomed to being hand-milked like dairy cows are.

What's her temperament? Has she been halter trained or not? If she's gentle and one that is easy to catch, then you should be able to milk her regularly to get some milk into the calf.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
memela said:
We are keeping 16 cows for our cousin that lives in Oklahoma because of the drought there. They are all pregnant and probably the stress from the 10 hour ride down here they are all comming into labor this one was not due till last of Sept. Thank you so much.
Yep that could cause prem birth and your dates suggest its more like 2 months prem - you got your work cut out with this one so I wish you good luck. At least the cattle are grazing