premature calf

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Memela, I don't have cows, but have been reading your post with great interest. Just wanted to say how much I admire you and what your are doing for this little one. Best of luck and I hope she makes it for you, and her!

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Update on LuLu the premie...Today was the most AMAZING day !! I was working with her ( 3 Times a day ) had her standing up and I let loose of her and she stood by herself..Little wobbly then she took 3 steps !!!!I was one proud step- mom LOL 4days old and 1 month premature. What a blessing she is. Now if her eyes would just clear up.:):)

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yay! Little Lulu and you have a big cheering section out here. Keep up the good work. I know these weren't your cows to begin with. But maybe this one will be huh? ;)

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks to all who are cheering for Me & LuLu. Yesterday was a little set back I increased her milk & it gave her the squrits. But gave her pedialyte and some pepto bismol yes you heard me right pepto well it worked LOL back to normal this morning. she is still sucking down a qt of milk replacer 3 times a day. We finally got the scales out to the barn and she weighs a wooping 24 lbs. But I am afraid she is blind in both eyes hoping she will grow out of it just a waiting game.Done a lot of research on this and mos of them seem to regain their eye sight in about a month. but if not I'll just put bumper pads everywhere. And no she want be going back to OK !! I am her mother LOL. Trying to figure out how to put a pic up for everyone to see.

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
3002_lulu.jpg
Ok everyone here she is my LIL LuLu !! Standing and taking her first steps

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If that doesn't restore your faith, nothing will! You go, LuLu!!!

As a side note Memela...if you change the "e's" in your name to "a's" you would spell Mamala, which is the Yiddish (Jewish) term of endearment for "mother." Coincidence? I think not! ;)

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow you are doing an awesome job. Now just a question is her eyes cloudy like pink eye? I was told once if you pit like 2 cc's of LA200 in the eyes, not with a needle but just squirt it in, it cures the pink eye. Maybe that will help her eye sight. This is just a thought, but if I am wrong someone please comment.

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
no she doesn't have pink eye. One eye is very cloudy and blue the other eye has a white spot on the middle of her eye looks almost like a cataract. i have did a lot of research on blindess in calves and I have found out it happens more than people talk about. Some have recovered in 3-4 weeks others not. So it has given me hope atleast more than she had.Thanks for the coment. it means a lot to me. i'm trying so hard to get her strong.

Latest posts