premature calf

Bovinity

Just born
Reaction score
The swollen leg may be from navel ill (or joint ill), an infection that enters the calves body through the umbilical cord stump. It can cause an infection in the navel area, or sometimes travels to the joints in the legs and sets up an infection there (joint ill). It will need to be treated with antibiotics. Usually shows up in calves that are about a week old. You might do a search to see what info you can find on it. Good luck with your little one -- I found your post when searching for premature calves. I am raising a little premature bull who was born 35 days early last Friday (8/5). He is doing well and is spunky, but it is an uphill battle with these little ones.

Bovinity

Just born
Reaction score
Hi Memela -- I don't know what antibiotics to use for the joint ill, luckily I have never had to deal with it. I just know about the disease from talking to other cattle people. Do you have a large animal vet that you can call and ask? Or maybe do a search and see what you can find. My sister did have a calf with this problem about a year ago, I will ask her what she used and post it here for you.

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks Bovinty! The mama cow chewed LuLu navel cord all the way off. I'm trying to keep her as clean as I can. i wash her twiced a day with the water hose LOL she comes alive when I do that. My hubby has gone to the feed store for some antibotices. We live 40 miles from a vet they don't to house calls & want even talk to you on the phone. So I'm kinda on my on. Thanks for all your help I'm sure this is what she has.

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Lil LuLu has joint ill or navel ill. Her left back leg is very swollen and hot. It hurts her when she stands. Another battle. The mama cow cut the navel cord all the way off the navel itself looks fine no infection there that I can see. I've started her on antibiotic that i have here already called Noromycin 300 LA. As usual I can't get the vet to call me back. Has anyone dealt with this? Need advice. She is still taking her bottles and acts like shes is starving. but other wise she is good.

Bovinity

Just born
Reaction score
Memela - I have sent you an email with some information.

1MrsMagoo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Aww, isn't she the cutest little thing. :love I really am pulling for her and you :fl Hold on to hope because even the tinyest babies can make it with enough TLC and you are doing a great job.

Last spring we had a goat give birth to twins several weeks prematurely. The larger of the two was still born and Willy, the smaller who weighed just a teensy bit under 2 lbs took nearly 10 days to be strong enough to walk on his own. The mother is a 100lb Spanish Meat goat and our vet told us he should have been closer to 4 pounds at birth. He was limp like a rag doll when he was born so we brought him in and he slept in a cat bed on my seed starter pad to keep him warm: I was so worried about him the first two nights that I wrapped him in a towel and he and I slept on the couch together.

This is a picture of him with my daughter when he was nearly two weeks old. He had been walking on his own for about 4 days at this point.
4691_img_0104.jpg

We went through all the same things you are having trouble with; scours, weakness, infections...you name it and it was touch and go for quite a while. However, after all that hard work he survived and thrived. At18 months he is nearly as big as his mother and very healthy. I am on my husband's laptop or I would include a photo.

Anyways, you are doing great. Just keep up all your good work and your little angel will do okay.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
1MrsMagoo said:
Aww, isn't she the cutest little thing. :love I really am pulling for her and you :fl Hold on to hope because even the tinyest babies can make it with enough TLC and you are doing a great job.

Last spring we had a goat give birth to twins several weeks prematurely. The larger of the two was still born and Willy, the smaller who weighed just a teensy bit under 2 lbs took nearly 10 days to be strong enough to walk on his own. The mother is a 100lb Spanish Meat goat and our vet told us he should have been closer to 4 pounds at birth. He was limp like a rag doll when he was born so we brought him in and he slept in a cat bed on my seed starter pad to keep him warm: I was so worried about him the first two nights that I wrapped him in a towel and he and I slept on the couch together.

This is a picture of him with my daughter when he was nearly two weeks old. He had been walking on his own for about 4 days at this point.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4691_img_0104.jpg

We went through all the same things you are having trouble with; scours, weakness, infections...you name it and it was touch and go for quite a while. However, after all that hard work he survived and thrived. At18 months he is nearly as big as his mother and very healthy. I am on my husband's laptop or I would include a photo.

Anyways, you are doing great. Just keep up all your good work and your little angel will do okay.
Wow, what a story! He WAS so tiny! Glad you posted this so that memela and others like myself can see these premmies can thrive. Lots of work but what a great reward. Though there are many sad stories of premmies, it's nice to know that sometimes that TLC from us can work! :)

memela

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your inspiring story. Love can go a long way. LuLu is not feeling good today. the vet finally called me back she is on LA 300 1/2 cc every 3 days. So i hoping the swelling goes down. She is still eating very good. We weighed her this morning and she is now 28 lbs despite all the scours this week. but she is just laying around and want hold her head up. Thinking its the medcine.

1MrsMagoo

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
memela said:
Thank you so much for your inspiring story. Love can go a long way. LuLu is not feeling good today. the vet finally called me back she is on LA 300 1/2 cc every 3 days. So i hoping the swelling goes down. She is still eating very good. We weighed her this morning and she is now 28 lbs despite all the scours this week. but she is just laying around and want hold her head up. Thinking its the medcine.
As long as the little darling keeps eating you should be good. I like to think about it this way: How do we act when we have a fever and feel like poo? Personally, I find my favorite pillow and blanket and only move if I have to use the bathroom or if nobody thinks to bring me food. Her body is fragile from being premature and trying to fight an infection so she may be tired or listless. Just keep checking her and watch for any shallow breathing. It is actually a good thing she is resting, so you don't have to force her to lay down and rest.

I am thankful that the vet finally got with you and got her some antibiotics. Oh, by chance do you have a rectal thermometer? It may be helpful to monitor her progress with the antibiotics/fever....just a suggestion but not a necessity. If her fever doesn't break the vet may need to switch up the antibiotics he prescribed for her.

With our goats, their is only 1 vet that will treat them within 75 miles: He's a great guy but their is only one of him. He gave me his cell phone number and if I have an emergency he will talk me through it day or night...no charge. I have a huge toolbox stocked with antibiotics, wound dressing stuff, syringes, wormers, and just about anything else I could think of: The door of my spare fridge is filled with stuff too. Thank goodness that most everything I have can be used on multiple species since i have a horse, dairy cow (due to calf anytime), chickens, ducks, guineas, and of course my goats. Really, the veterinary stuff is fairly reasonable price wise.

Oh, I am back on my other PC and here is the now photo of Willy taken last month. He is in the background and his mother Hershey is in the foreground as they head out of their paddock in the morning.
4691_hersh_and_willie.jpg

Still sending lots of prayers for little Ms. Lulu and you.

Latest posts