Pygmy/Nigerian Question...

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, now that we have a deposit in on some Boer X kids, we have a friend call us and say that her friend's goats need a new home and she's hoping we'll take them. She sends me a pic (not a great one) and they look like Pygmys off the bat to me, but I didn't even know Nigerian's existed until recently, so that didn't cross my mind right away. Then I realized they could also be Nigerians, but I wouldn't know how to tell the difference... so here's where you all come in- what would I look for to tell them apart? It really doesn't matter to me- we'll take them either way if they look like they're healthy and all (any warning signs I should look for on that subject?)- I was just curious how to tell those breeds apart. The owner is clueless and said she thought they might be in the Nubian family... hmmm. That would mean the picture I got was worse than I thought. ;) If we get them (maybe in 2 weeks or so) I'll post pics to get opinions on what they are. :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Here's a good summary to tell the difference:

Pygmy goats are heavy boned and are cobby. Nigerian Dwarf goats are almost similar to the dairy goats in build.
In comparison to the nigerian dwarf goats, the pygmy goats produce less milk.
Unlike the nigerian dwarf goats, the pygmy goats are raised for their meat.
The Pygmy goats have their origin in Africa. They are very agile, small and stocky.
The pygmy goats have dished faces (curved when seen from the side). These goats have short wide muzzles, short stocky legs and short muscled necks.
In contrast to the pygmy goats, the nigerian dwarf goats have long slender necks and longer bodies.. These goats have thin bodies and slender legs.
Unlike the pygmy goats, the nigerian dwarf goats have balanced udders.

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you! Anything I should look for in regards to health/condition of the goats, since I don't know much history on them?