Queen Mum's Dancing in the Rain

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you do need to trap and kill her before she has a mess of babies!!!!! And it touched your foot???? shudder... good luck with getting her soon! You just may have to resort to having Royd the grim raker show up with his rake all nicely sharpened up ;)

You could lure him with some great Southern cooking :)

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Royd? I need you and your rake. I have cheese!?!

1156_rats.jpg

This rat is huge and I touched her. She is big and fat and warm. EWWWWW!

Here is a picture of one of her mates. This one got caught by my dog. It was half the size of this she rat. And it weighed a pound and a half. (I put it on the scale) ICKY RATS...

1156_deadrat_2.jpg

Warning graphic picture.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually, that's not an icky picture of a rat...it's the best kind of photo of a rat ;)

Hint: Lure the rat into a trap with cheese...if that doesn't work, lure the Grim Raker with biscuits and gravy, poached eggs on toast and lamb with mint jelly...just might work!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Today I went and trimmed Milo heads from the field to give to my goats for snacks. Little Perl was there showing her wisdom. I have a feed bucket with a bright yellow screw on top. It is bulky so I put it down whilst I filled my Kangaroo pouch with milo heads.

Perl got the brilliant idea to hop up on the bucket to see what was in my pouch. She realized that from that vantage point she could get to the choicest of milo. AND she could get into the pouch where the milo heads were residing. Little Perl is very chubby these days. She hopped into my pouch where she managed to turn herself around to stand with her little front hooves hanging out the top of the pouch and her hind hooves on the bottom of the pouch trying to grab things. She looked like a baby in a baby back pack. I ended her joy by unsnapping the pouch and dumping her out of the bottom.

She promptly got on the yellow bucket and stood there munching milo tops and trying to grab the ones I had cut. She was pretty gooda at it. What a little pill. But she is so cute I couldn't get mad at her. No wonder she is so chubby. Then Ian came over. She was eye to eye with him. He was preparing to knock her off the bucket and she actually put her head down to challeng him. She realized that it was no contest and lept lightly off the bucket and hid behind me till he left. She is such a card.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Wow! For the first time EVER, Bow curled up on my lap and just laid there an purred while I stroked his neck. It's a first folks. He's not the most pet-able cat ever. Usually he thinks it's time to play. But today he just curled up and purred. It was cool.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
You really need to get quickly rid of those rats by any means necessary and don't worry about how humane any particular method may or may not be. As they multiply, their ratpopulation to food supply ratio will tip adversely to the point they will begin gnawing on anything they can find and that includes any plastic piping and electric wire insulation. Homes have been burned down and humans have perished in a most painful and inhumane manner because of it. Get some heavy duty spring rat traps for starters and if you have no indoor pets, some de con rat poison, but be aware the decon takes some time to work and the rat may crawl off in a search for water and die in a confined space resulting in an unpleasant odor inside your home.
Try to find how they are entering your home and block it off, tho once established, they may well just chew an new entrance way.

Believe me, the rats will have absolutely no moral misgivings about how much trouble they cause you or how physically painful their antics are to you. Tho I am doing so right this minute, the words Rat and Inhumane should never be used in the same sentence or context. Kill 'em--kill 'em all-- now!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I am virgorously persuing rat persecution. It's a never ending battle. It seems the rats are getting the upper hand.

I wonder why they are so numerous this year.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
I am virgorously persuing rat persecution. It's a never ending battle. It seems the rats are getting the upper hand.

I wonder why they are so numerous this year.
Same reason there are and have been so many of everything else, from acorns, to flies, to mosquitoes, to goat weeds.
This and last year's Drought.

In humans, when times get hard, we move toward not to reproduce as much, and we mistankingly tend to view nature the same way, but the opposite is most often true. Nature's way of dealing with adverse conditions is to procreate like mad, one last gasp at survival of the species. The more young or seeds a plant or animal species produces, the more likelihood that a few will somehow survive. It's why right after a bad drought, oak trees make acorns by the ton, pines produce a bumper crop of cones, flies mate like mad, and weeds sprout up where they never did before, and why rats and mice, already prolific breeders, will mate even more often than ever before, especially right before winter. Survival of the species.