Queen Mum's Dancing in the Rain

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry bout your lil pup. Hand feeding is so tough.
Your Houdini and my Millie would be best friends.. double trouble! ;)

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Olivia is always on the prowl. Catching her staying in one spot is nigh unto impossible. She is tiny in comparison to the others, but I managed to catch a shot of her shooting off the bed.

1156_olivia_on_the_prowl.jpg

Then there is the brindle pup, who for now is Half N Half. He is a very serious fellow. But most sweet and cute. Here he is sitting in a perfect puppy pose, but I had to take the picture from above.

1156_posing_for_the_shot.jpg

Of course there is the ever silent little ghost, Casper.

1156_casper.jpg

And of course, Goliath. A very big puppy who is quite shy and did not want to be still for a picture. I am putting up two shots, one of his face and the other a puppy pile so you can get an idea of how big he is in comparison to the others. He is the puppy next to Half and Half (also a pretty big puppy.) Olivia is in front.

1156_i_dont_like_having_my_picture_taken.jpg

1156_group_hug.jpg

Casper is buried under the pile. His favorite puppy pile position.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
The original owner has to find homes for them. I am just their foster mom for eight weeks.

They are so cute and they are showing their personalities now. Casper is the low man on the totem pole. Olivia seems to be the Alpha dog, even though she is the smallest. Goliath is second and Half and Half is the next one. They are all quite gentle little pups. But Olivia is a hoot. She is very hyper and full of beans. When I put her on the floor she immediately goes exploring everywhere. She explores the cat, the kitchen, under my chair, goes into the next room. Then comes back. She really uses her nose and sniffs at everything.

They all know my voice and come to it immediately. They also know when I am walking into the room.

On to other news:

Today I took the goats for a walk and they have been getting distracted because the landlord parked a big truck full of deer corn under a garage thingy. Someone spilled some in the driveway and of course instead of following me the goats want to go over there and eat it all up. So today I collared Ian and Mama and made them follow me. (Herd Queen and King Buck) Ian was fit to be tied. He did not want to miss out on the tasty morsels of corn.

I got him down the road and turned him loose and he ran ahead about 100 feet and turned and stood on his hind legs bucked up and ran at me and stopped 10 inches from me in a head but position. I immediately grabbed him, tipped his head up and said 'NO, DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!" then I pushed him away.

He ran away about 200 feet this time turned, leapt in the air and ran straight at me bucked up in the air stood on his hind legs and crashed down at me with his horns and stopped one inch from my knees. Looking terrified. Ian weighs about 180. He is 37 inches at the withers. He could have broken both my knees, but he knows that I am the boss. (thank God!)

I grabbed his horns, tipped his head up again and said, "THAT'S IT, you are naughty, NO, NO, NO. I AM QUEEN MUM.' Then I knocked his front feet out from under him and laid him on the ground and held him there for about 30 seconds staring straight in his eyes till he blinked. He got up and hung his head and ran off and hid behind Mama. She head butted him.

We walked about 200 more yards and I turned around and said, "Let's go this way. Ian, come." Ian ran straight up behind me and stopped two feed behind me and walked quietly until I said he could go on and then he danced over to where the other goats were eating corn and pushed them all out of the way. Then when I got there he stepped aside.

When I decided to go back to where we were going I called all the goats and Ian and Mama rounded up and came right away and all the other goats followed nice as you please. I was so proud of Ian. He's such a good boy!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Once he put his head down to tell me he didn't like what I was doing. But that is the extent of it. He was soundly pushed in the shoulder for it by Mama. (She keeps the peace around here.)

I could see by the look on his face and how far he was from me when he stood on his hind legs he wasn't intending to hit me. He was "pulling a punch". My goats do it all the time. AND I know my goats rarely make contact with each other. Ian and Trump Card spar constantly and they barely touch each other except when there is a female in estrus involved. Of course, if I had had any doubts about him making contact, I would have taken two steps to the side and he would have been on the ground in an instant. I learned that technique from Mama.

I have been headbutted a couple times by a goat. Mostly when I got in the way of two sparring females. THAT HURTS! They weren't aiming at me, though. I just accidently stepped in the middle without paying attention to where I was going. And once Mama was aiming at the dog who had ran around behind me and came through my legs. Mama accidently hit my shin. She immediately apologized, while I was writhing on the ground in pain. In fact, both Mama and the dog apologized and laid down next to me making comforting dog and goat noises at me. Mama even helped me get up off the ground and limp to the house. Neither of them came near me for about a week after that.

One of the advantages of training pack goats is knowing who your animals are and their every little behavioral nuance. The other thing is they are bred for temperament. I don't keep ANY aggressive animals. IMHO, not all "aggressive" animals are really aggressive either. Most of them just have no manners.

OK, with one exception. My dog USED to be dog aggressive. She isn't anymore.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the pack goat training is fantastic. Do you have a page about it? Where did you learn or were you self taught. I wonder if I gave my naughty Millie something to do if she would love it.