question about fences

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello I have an area that is 150 ' by 150' that has a 4' high duck fence. 2" by 4" opening. Its held up by metal poles. I think this is to low. Can the goats jump over it?
I dont have goats yet but trying to get an area set up. for the out side area is 150 ' by 150' big enough for 2 goats? For there house what size do you sugest for 2?

Im thinking of 4"x4"x8' Post hole 2' down that leaves me with a 6' fence. Is that high enough? or should I stick to the 4' fence? A lot of questions Sorry :( thanks Scotty

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
sc00ter4900 said:
Hello I have an area that is 150 ' by 150' that has a 4' high duck fence. 2" by 4" opening. Its held up by metal poles. I think this is to low. Can the goats jump over it?
I dont have goats yet but trying to get an area set up. for the out side area is 150 ' by 150' big enough for 2 goats? For there house what size do you sugest for 2?

Im thinking of 4"x4"x8' Post hole 2' down that leaves me with a 6' fence. Is that high enough? or should I stick to the 4' fence? A lot of questions Sorry :( thanks Scotty
Can they jump it? Probably, but there would have to be something really tempting on the other side...like food, or water, or safety, in the absence of such on the "correct" side of the fence.

If you keep them safe and happy, though, a 4' fence is plenty.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My fence is 4' high. I do have Nigerians and so far they haven't tried to jump but they have looked over the whole fence line to see if there is a hole to squeeze out of. :p

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
for my goats, no that wouldn't even begin to hold them in--doesn't matter --they have fresh water and free fed hay, if they want to stay in , they do, but there are a couple of does that absolutely would not stay in--right now we have 52'' sheep/goat fence with 2 electric wires above that. It seems to work. But it also depends on the goat and the personality and with my goats--their weight. My heavier goats can't jump the fence, but the lighter weight goats will--but this is only what I have found here. You just never underestimate any animal :).

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So whats your opinion on the 4" by 4" post 8' long ? Is 2 feet deep enough? Are the post strong enough to hold 2 goats?Im trying to get as much to gether as posible before winter. Thanks scotty

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Can you run at least one electric wire or tape? That will keep them from pushing on the fence or climbing it. So the strength is not as much of an issue.

Is duck fence welded wire? If so, they will shred that when they put their pointy little hoofies in it to reach something or just because. I have 2" x 4" woven wire horse fencing and it is pretty indestructable....and pretty expensive now.

As for the posts, I have the same wooden posts set 2' deep. How deep depends in part on your soil. Two feet is probably plenty deep for goats. Mine is doing great. I also use the 6' T posts, and just used the wooden ones to support gates and in a couple of the corners.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2ft is really not deep enough, you could get away with it as many people do, but 3ft would be better and 4 feet the best. However, I PERSONALLY understand that it is not always possible to sink 4 feet, nor is it possible to sink 3 feet even (I live on the edge of the Canadian Shield, it's 2ft of soil, or 1ft of soil in some places and then straight shield rock under that, but in other places I have up to 4ft of soil. Very annoying).

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Can you run at least one electric wire or tape? That will keep them from pushing on the fence or climbing it. So the strength is not as much of an issue.

Is duck fence welded wire? If so, they will shred that when they put their pointy little hoofies in it to reach something or just because. I have 2" x 4" woven wire horse fencing and it is pretty indestructable....and pretty expensive now.

As for the posts, I have the same wooden posts set 2' deep. How deep depends in part on your soil. Two feet is probably plenty deep for goats. Mine is doing great. I also use the 6' T posts, and just used the wooden ones to support gates and in a couple of the corners.
This, I am using wood for corners and gates for the goats, and t's for the line posts because I'm on rock essentially. I will also have a second fenceline for esthetics though :) It's going to be Goatie Fort Knox in there.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My fence posts are 3 foot down. If you use a post hole digger, I would suggest putting concrete in each hole to hold the posts better. We had the Amish put up some fencing and they didn't put cement in the holes and now our posts are raising up. We just had someone else put fencing in and they pounded the posts in and then pounded our other fence posts but unfortunately, they will rise again and we will continue to have the problem.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My posts are 2.5' in the ground, which if fine for my climate, but if I liveed in an area with significant ground freeze I would put them in 3-4'.