rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oregon, so expensive transport is to be expected. I went ahead and booked him a trip for January and put down a deposit. It will not create a hardship for us, but I will probably be selling most if not all the doelings for a year or two to make myself feel better anyway-and like I said, we're at my mental capacity for standard goats anyway (would not mind a few more ND, but then we'd be in the same boat with them too...which I guess would mean we'd be going from herd building to into herd proving, improving, and business mode).

If we're not down to one house by January with all these showings and positive feedback we've been getting idk what's going on. Selling the house will be the ultimate "make me feel better".

The buck's owner mentioned she liked Aramis' breeder's herd (spring of rib, rump width, and strength of bone) and she wanted to see pics of Aramis. She told me to hang onto him another year before evaluating his rump and that he might be able to compliment what I build with Pete and Pepper (new buck) if his rump hip to pin levels out enough. So fine, I'll keep sitting on Aramis (*not literally). She says buying a buckling to grow is a big risk, but he looks still within good/decent range to her. She prefers to buy adult bucks from her local friends who have already grown out and proven and used up theirs. They take the risk and get the buck credentials and then you already know what the buck you're buying does to offspring. That would be sweet. That's not an option for me right now though. Maybe someday. For now this is as close as I can get to that...close, lol. Not.

This buck will do more of what Pete does and will hopefully help us establish enough type that even if Aramis isn't perfect that I can use him with less risk than using him right on Pete's kids right away.

Last edited:

Latest posts