Rescue goat hoof issues! HELP!

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I went to pick up a goat that a friend of my DIL wanted to give us. She sent us a picture of this cute pygmy buck and never mentioned that he had any problems. He looked healthy from the picture. So, we get there to pick him up and she is like well he has some problems with his legs. Apparently her dog got hold of him and tore his front legs up. They took him to the vet and the vet (which apparently knew nothing about goats) puts hard cast on both is front legs. I don't know when this all happened, but one of them is still on there. He can walk, but not right. The first thing I noticed when he came out of the little makeshift pallet house he was in was his hooves. I ask her "When was the last time you trimmed his hooves?" She gave me a deer in the headlights look. She had no idea that you have to trim their hooves! This goat is almost 3 years old! His hooves are turned up.

So, I now have a goat with some serious leg issues. I just could not leave him there to suffer. I am going to take him to the vet this week, because I just don't think I can deal with the hooves or the old cast that is still on his leg. I can care for him at home with some direction from the vet, but I am afraid to cut the cast off myself and the hooves are really bad. The only way I can describe it is if you have ever seen pictures of horses that have been neglected to the point their hooves grow out and turn up. It's really that bad!

Oh, and to add to all this, they were feeding him dog food. They said he wasn't a normal goat and would not eat grass. The first thing he did when I got him out at my house was start munching on the grass. I am sure he has never had goat food or minerals. It is a wonder he is not dead! He is getting a cup of grain (twice a day), loose minerals, and all the hay he can eat now. I am going to give him a CDT shot tonight. I am sure they never thought of that either.

I almost forgot to mention...they had a halter on him that must have been on there forever. I had to cut it off because it would not go over his legs or horns. They had him tied up to a tree in a muddy side yard at her mom's house.

So, I don't know what I am asking of you all. I just needed to vent about this obvious case of abuse/neglect/stupidity. Thank God my husband is an animal lover because I know this is going to cost some money!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Oh man, is that goat lucky you came along! He must have been miserable! Hopefully the casts can come off and there's no permanent damage to his legs. It's going to take a while to get his hooves in shape, but you just have to start trimming them. I would start trimming off as much as you can, and if it looks too pink or starts to bleed, stop and wait a week or so and try again.

If you're up to it, we would love to see pictures and then updates with his progress!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
First off, good for you for taking this on.....Sure hope those folks don't have other critters.

I'd be real gentle / slow introducing each 'new' thing to him, food-wise. If he's not used to grain he may well scour a bit.

Probios, or yogurt ASAP.

Keep some tetanus antitoxin on hand in case his feet get cut during the removal of the old hoof tissue, it takes several days or weeks for them to build immunity after they get their 1st and 2nd shot, so there's a chance he could still contract tetanus, even though he's had his 1st shot. And be sure to boost him.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have a fecal ran, too.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Good for you for taking him in. Now he can get the care that he needs. I bet the vet can help you out with some trimming too. It sounds like it is going to take some time. Good luck.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I had a goat that had hooves like that. My vet said to soak the hooves in an iodine and salt water solution right before trimming. It softens the hoof keratin, but right after you trim and it dries, it toughens the hoof tissue and prevents infections. You can also put honey on the hoof if it bleeds when you cut. Honey prevents infection as well and draws out any infection that might be resident. This came direct from my vet.

Take it a bit at a time, but the part that is growing upwards can be cut right off, since it is just dead tissue. The sooner you cut it off the better.

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was not able to get ahold of the vet yesterday. I will try again today. I just moved into the area and this is not my usual vet.

I was able to trim his right hoof some, but could not trim the left one. It has grown so much that it is wrapped around itself. I can't get them trimmers under it to cut.

I gave him a CDT shot and wormed him last night. He is eating good and for all the health issues he has he doesn't seem to have any personality issues. He and Peanut are getting along just fine. They spend the day together and we bring Peanut into his enclosure at night and Mr. Buttons sleeps in the goat house we built.

4859_buttons_003.jpg

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
4859_buttons_001.jpg

This is a little closer shot of his hooves. He wants to chew on the camera, so it was hard to get a close photo.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
A dremmel tool or an angle grinder will help getting the worst of it off the front of his hooves if you have it. You might need someone to help you hold the hoof still but it is much faster that way. AS long as you are not near the tender part of his foot, just saw that part right off with the angle grinder or dremmel tool. Then you will be able to get the trimmers much closer to the critical part of his hoof to do the clean up.

Don't be shy about it. But don't close your eyes either. (I know, I'm just kidding here, but you know you want to close your eyes and just go for it.)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
He looks very much like my Speedy who we lost recently. Bless you for taking him in! :hugs

You've gotten some great advice so far. Please keep us posted. I can't wait to see updated pics of him with nicely trimmed feet and happy.

Shayna

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Aw, he's cute! I'd love to have a couple little goats someday, they have so much personality.