Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like DH is planning to sink a new well. The water line into the groid os wrtten as dgalvanized so I need to see the bid and ask abut lining it with PVC. The old well line is pitted from minerals in the soil. I don't want the new line to go that way too. Some people have told me that the water lines should be PVC to avoid that problem.
Depends on the depth of the well and how far it has to send the water depends on if PVC can handle the pressure and I wouldn't go with PVC it would be HDPE. Something ever happen to that well and you got PVC down there you will have problems getting that pump up without damaging it. Trying to send PVC down at 10' lengths would be a disaster based on the strength of the joints too.
The casing which is something different can go in as PVC or HDPE if they have the tools to make it happen.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Drilling estimate is
"424' Drilling, cased, gravel pcked, pressure cemented"cased - does that mean that the can put another pipe in the casing later?
"352' 1" galvanized pipe& submersible cable"

DS1 asked and I think they have to use galvanized because the PVC (HDPE?) won't handle the pressure for that depth.

DS1 is also having water tested and checking out about the current pump which is old.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back to current pump tank which should have some sort of air bladder ? otherwise it will burn out the pump to keep pumping constantly. Not sure what all that means, but DS1 is on top of it. Pump size estimate is for 2 HP 15 GPM 230v single phase. Tank is 44 gallon Flexcon bladder tank. We might want to put in a larger free standing water tank but not sure if needed.

I called Mrs. MacDonald's SIL (Sulphur Springs real estate broker) to make sure drilling a new well would add to property value or at least not be a loss since we ar hooked to city water. He said it would make property more valuable/sellable with second water source.

DH is continuing to mow down the goat weed. We will have to spray it in the early spring when it starts to come up and then keep mosing it to get rid of it if possible. DH says there is a lot round the ponds which he can get close enough to mow - I wonder if the geese would eat it.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Drilling estimate is
"424' Drilling, cased, gravel pcked, pressure cemented"cased - does that mean that the can put another pipe in the casing later?
"352' 1" galvanized pipe& submersible cable"

DS1 asked and I think they have to use galvanized because the PVC (HDPE?) won't handle the pressure for that depth.

DS1 is also having water tested and checking out about the current pump which is old.
Only 352’ of pipe is about 119 lbs of water, I don’t see why they won’t do HDPE. A 44 gallon bladder means you can run up to 44 gallons before the pump kicks on, the less that pump has to kick on the longer it lasts. Pressure cementing basically takes the place of packing the well with bentonite to prevent intrusion of surface water into the well. Doesn’t mean you can put another casing in.
Back to current pump tank which should have some sort of air bladder ? otherwise it will burn out the pump to keep pumping constantly. Not sure what all that means, but DS1 is on top of it. Pump size estimate is for 2 HP 15 GPM 230v single phase. Tank is 44 gallon Flexcon bladder tank. We might want to put in a larger free standing water tank but not sure if needed.

I called Mrs. MacDonald's SIL (Sulphur Springs real estate broker) to make sure drilling a new well would add to property value or at least not be a loss since we ar hooked to city water. He said it would make property more valuable/sellable with second water source.

DH is continuing to mow down the goat weed. We will have to spray it in the early spring when it starts to come up and then keep mosing it to get rid of it if possible. DH says there is a lot round the ponds which he can get close enough to mow - I wonder if the geese would eat it.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if the geese would eat it.
I don’t know if I have goat weed here or else I would be able to tell you if my geese eat it. I tried to search goat weed, but some supplement for humans called “horny goat weed” came up instead! 🫢 😂

Tried different search words, and eventually found a few different Latin names for various plants, so I don’t know which plant is the one you have. (I searched if it was an invasive.) Also, some hits came up from BYC when I searched if geese could eat it. But still, it depends on whether their goat weed is the same as yours. (They said their geese dont eat it.)