Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have the convertible Midea freezer from Lowes.... It is the biggest upright they make... and am fairly pleased with it. Runs good... The little shelf holders on the inside are not very wide... so real heavy stuff on the shelf causes it to bow a little and they have slipped off the holders on the side.. that is annoying... but I forget that most "NORMAL" people do not put big whole chickens and pounds of beef and other meat, and more pounds of vacuum packed vegs and heavy stuff like that... They are for people who have nice supermarket packages of frozen food.... not the way I stuff things in there.
Looking at another that has wider shelf supports for the next one. I have one that frosts bad and the gaskets supposedly are not available...
Lowes here delivers to front door for nothing. Put it on the Lowes card... 12 months free financing...so a $1000 freezer is less than $100/month.... The ones I have been looking at are $899 in store, on sale... and sale price is good for the 12 month free financing.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used this module to turn small chest freezer into refrigerator for our trailer. It works great. You put thermometer inside freezer and plug it into the outlet. Box monitors the thermometer and turns power to freezer on and off.
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Tempe...05-a9c9-a643f8eff852&pd_rd_i=B01KMA6EAM&psc=1
Our garage ready freezer in Texas is a GE 21.7 cf freezer. Discussed with DS1 that if the repoairs are more than $900, then we wil buy the exact same one again. We looked at others - the 24.8 cf garage ready Fridgidaire was an option. It has wheels which would make it easily movable in the shed (concrete floor) but has only 2 tiny baskets on the top level. The GE has 6 basket=ys on 2 levals and dividers on the bottom. The Fridigaire is shallower, because of the wheels raising the height, making it easier to reach the bottom. DH and I decided if we want to move the GE we will cut a 3/4" piece of plywood to dimensions, add heavy duty wheels to it, and jp;ace the freezer on top. If it needs air circulation, we can use a hole saw bit on the drill to cut air holes.

DD2 left a small college size fridge here that they did not want. We will see if it works and use it for vet meds. We can put it in the house for most of the meds and keep a small fridge in the barn for stuff we might need to use frequently, or just do what we do now and take everything out when we do vaccinations or worming.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a $50 "college size " refridge in the barn for the cattle meds and vaccines... Have a bigger fridge that died that we use for all the stuff we do not want the da#@ed groundhogs and raccoons and mice getting into... just left it there and put the mini fridge on top.
Except for the new Midea freezer... I have 3 that came from estate sales for $100-$400 each... 2 are going on 20 years at my place....

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, no, no. As much as we need/want you in CA - there is too much stress here with the state of the state. I know you love the grands, but they tend to like to give you the current "bug" whatever that is. TX is for you, you just need to cut the CA cord --- which of course includes the CA medical links. That seems to be the biggest drag back into CA for you. There are great docs in TX, you'll need to find them. When you are in TX you are happy and more relaxed. When you're back in CA .................. well you know! ;)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can't possibly save $$ with all those checks ups & dr visits in CA. Bite the bullet -- keep you butt & busted knees in TX. :old