Roll Farms - Herdstock is over, and I'm feeling hung over, lol

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Your farm is beautiful, but, um, uh, :hide you need more flowers! :hide You can never have enough flowers! And your green house looks very empty! :hide So, just send it to my house and I will fill it all up for you.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
So I had my camera w/ me all.day.long. Trying to learn all the things it will / won't do. Sorry if you're tired of pics.

Here goes:

Well, technically, we took this pic Sunday. I just forgot to post it....Valentine turned 3 mos. old, weighed 46#, which gives her an ADG of .42. Not awesome, but not bad, esp. when you consider she was pulled from her mom / switched to a bottle at around 10 days old.

Valentine3mo.jpg

OK, now, back to today....from this morning at feeding time....

I really like some things about this camera, one being I can finally get decent pics of girls on the stand. The Kodak left the pics so dark.

Derri

Derrionstand.jpg

Risque

risqueonstand.jpg

Penny

pennyonstand.jpg

The guineas
guineas-1.jpg

Broody cochin hen - sitting on nothing....

broody.jpg

Our 1st BLUE silver fox kits!

bsfkits.jpg

Edge patiently waiting for me to finish milking and apply her fly repellant (they eat up her nose).

Edge-2.jpg

Every morning I bring the yearlings in to eat, because the older goats chase them from the feeder.

Smart goats actually spend the time eating....

blyrlings.jpg

Silly goats spend the time watching me milk....

16yrlings.jpg

After chores, Fiddles and I took off to work on cleaning fence rows and spraying weedkiller.

Took this pic of the pond when I was going by. FINALLY got the algae under control....now for the weeds....it just never ends...

pond.jpg

Sometimes, I let him drive....

Fiddlesdriving.jpg

Sometimes he just follows along

fiddles-1.jpg

I love this silly dog

Fiddles.jpg

Some of the messes I cleaned up....

fencerowbranch.jpg

fencerownbranch2.jpg

finished section

fencerows.jpg

(makes it easier to mow for DH and keeps me from getting smacked in the face by brush when I'm on the gator....)

We had company

deer-1.jpg

This is one enterprising squirrel, I don't think I've ever seen so many nuts stashed at once.

nuts.jpg

All the 'loot' I cut for the girls while I was out....wild rose and raspberry

goatsnax.jpg

I think they were glad to get it!

goatsnax2.jpg

After DH got home and chores were done, he started in on my plant hanger we'd discussed....I love it! He had all the hardware laying around, so all it cost was the post.

raisedbeds516.jpg

baskets.jpg

These butterfly hooks were my moms. I think she'd like where I put them this year.

butterflybaskets.jpg

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Those are some awesome pictures. I need a camera like that. I have a cheaper Kodak one and it takes for ever to take the picture, longer for it to recover so I can take another picture and everything is darker then I want. Taking picture of the goats in the field takes alot of work. LOL All the goats and Fiddles look great.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Valentine is so gorgemous. Her spots are just sooooo..........swishy.

I'm so jealous of your flowerbeds. i havent been able to maintain mine very well this year at all. They are embarrassing!

And tell Fiddles that he and i had the same hair do this morning! :lol:

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, Kim, I always enjoy your pictures so much. I called DH in to look at your milk stand. I am wanting a new one.

Your place is beautiful, and I know you work your patootie off keeping it looking like that. But, I suspect, it's a labor of love.

DonnaBelle

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Love it all! :D
I love fiddles too. He looks like he belongs in a doctor suess book with that poof of hair!!! So cute!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Thank you, we do work hard at making it look nice....but yes, I love it. Beats working a real job, ;)

Valentine is more of a Dapple than Spotted. I'm leaning toward breeding her to Freeney this year, even though he's not "fullblood", just to see what we get. He'll be leaving in Sept. so if she makes 80# by then, that's what we'll do. I can always breed her to Bullitt next year. And, the upshot is if she has a daughter I keep, I can breed her to Bullitt, too. If I breed her to Bullitt this year, I wouldn't have an unrelated buck to breed the offspring to.

Bullitt has spotted genes (grandson of Mr. Maker's Mark) so his genes, combined w/ Valentines, really should make pretty babies, too....throwing Freeney's spots in will only add to the color base.

Ok, so......Even by my normal "zoom zoom" standards, today was just nutty.

Got up at 6....out watering by 6:30 (no rain in 10 days and NONE in the 10 day forecast, so I'm pretty much watering something daily....), in the barn doing chores by 8:00, done w/ pasteurizing / making ice cream by 10am and on the road to Knightstown, IN, which is 1.25 hrs away. I found some guinea keets on C-list for 2$ ea and since I can't seem to get mine to hatch, I needed some. (Had a lady pre-pay for some back in March...). Also got 3 BCW Polish chicks to replace the 3 that died 2 wks ago (just out of the blue - poof, they all died the same day. The other 2 are fine....wierd...) and some barred rocks for a customer who's coming tomorrow.

Got back to town around 12:30, ran to the bank, ran past Mc Donalds, ran home and got a shower, fed the kids again, ran to the eye dr. and picked up my BIFOCALS ( :hit ) and then ran to work. Got off at 8 and ran past Hardees (I hate eating Fast Food, I really hate eating it 2x in one day....but I had to eat), then ran home.

Fed the kids again, fed the chicks, set the incubator :fl and cleaned up a little, and finally sat down about 9:30 pm.

Tomorrow I have to dig up some plants for one customer, got another coming for chicks, and someone for disbudding. Think I might just do a super quickie house cleaning so that I can start working on the bed on the East side of the house. I hated the iris I had so I'm digging them up and selling them, along w/ the peonies. That'll give me more room for the strawberries and I can get the iris I do like out of the long bed, where I don't really want them, and put them in that spot.

Heard from the lady who bought that little mini heifer from us, she's doing fine and going to be bred soon. So glad she's happy w/ her b/c she was a snothead when she was here. :lol:

I should probably stop typing and go to bed...but I (like an idiot) drank coffee when I got home and now I'm WIRED.

Latest posts