Roll Farms - Herdstock is over, and I'm feeling hung over, lol

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Love all of the pictures.

Made a batch of chocolate fudge (your quick recipe) I found somewhere. It was a hit.

So the kids want Peanut Butter Fudge. Do you have a recipe for that?

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed with all the work. The garden is very nice and organized. That Valentine won't be hard to sell if you ever do.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
3BC, we use the same recipe for Peanut Butter, just substitute 1/2 of the butter w/ 3-4 heaping Tbs. of peanut butter.
I use a mixer to chop the powdered sugar lumps up, rather than sift it....but you gotta have it ready and do it while it's hot.

Valentine won't be sold, we bought her b/c I wanted her BADLY....but yes, she is a beaut! Thanks!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I cleaned some, sold some birds, transplanted some stuff, and did the Purina interview. I have to sign a release and fax it back and they "will let me know if they decide to use our story in an upcoming E bulletin."

Today we trimmed hooves for a lady w/ 8 goats. We also vaccinate them, check eyelids, overall condition, etc. and tell her what to be on the lookout for, etc. I took some pics but no time to mess w/ downloading tonight. Two of her wethers are HUGE. Bigger than Chaos, even. Several of her goats came from us and it's fun to see how they age / progress. They are purely her pets and she loves them dearly.

Then we cut down 2 dead trees (death by goat girdling) in the pasture and hauled all the brush to the big ugly burn pile we started 2 yrs ago, and added to when we remodeled the buck barn.

Tomorrow we're going to FINALLY burn it, and split the wood in the pasture so we can watch it / contain it if needed. We've been wanting to wait for it to rain / wet down the pasture but....no such luck. The longer we leave it, the more scattered the dogs and goats make it. Gus does love a good chew stick....only thinks he needs a new one every day....

The good thing is there's a big circle of 'brown earth' around it, so hopefully it won't spread - but we'll be ready w/ the hose / rakes just in case.

Gotta clean some chicken pens, too. Who's idea was it to get all these darn chicks of different ages????

Bought another 2.5 g of brush killer for the property line fence. Hope to get that sprayed next week.

After that, I'll start picking up sticks and trimming back the 'trails' in our (very small) woods. It's all thorn trees so it'll be fun. I already look like I fought a bobcat from cleaning out the barbwire fence last week.

Spending 2 hrs or so a day watering. Who's idea was it to plant so much stuff, anydarnway???

Spoke to the hay guy, he's FINALLY going to cut next week (I get nervous when I'm down to less than 20 bales...) so it looks like putting up hay is in next weekend's future....
I love a barn full of good alfalfa......I just wish it'd stack itself!

Between the barbwire, thorn trees, and hay, I'll look like I went on a date w/ Edward Scissorhands and he got grabby :lol:

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

eta: Fiddles is glad you like his hair do. His daddy makes me keep it like that. Reminds him of a Fraggle or a good luck troll doll from the 90's, lol.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Got the wood split, the brush pile burned, the brooding pens cleaned out, and a few more things planted.
Calling for rain tomorrow (please, please, please) but if not, up early to water, then putter around a bit, try to take a nap, then a 4-H meeting that won't end until I'm usually in bed (hence the need for a nap) for my early Tues. truck day.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
2 Tbs vanilla, 1 cup sugar, 2 cups cream (I use store-bought cream b/c I don't have a cream seperator) and the rest goat milk. If you don't add cream it's so hard you can't get it out of the bowl.

Don't ask me how much 'the rest' is, I dump it all into our ice cream maker and I dunno how much it holds. It's an electric one w/ a gel thing you freeze so that you don't have to use salt and ice. I'd guesstimate somewhere between 3-4 cups of goat milk.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I bought a drip irrigation system for the garden. DH took one look at it, declared it a "piece of spit" and said he wasn't foolin' with it.

Soooo....guess who just set it up and has it working ALL BY HERSELF.

He better watch out, some day I might just figure out I don't need him after all..... :lol:

Latest posts