Roll Farms - Herdstock is over, and I'm feeling hung over, lol

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
STILL no measurable rain, and none forecasted. :(
I hear you, hubby is going to have haul water today. We are down to 12" in the cistern.

Our pond has been taken over by the little ones. The boys go up and pull about 20 out every now and then and I cook them up for dinner but we can't seem to keep up. It was stocked long before we ever bought the place and I don't think the previous owner fished in it a lot. It is waaay up on the top of the hill, across the road from the house and the previous owner had trouble getting up the three porch steps so I doubt they made the climb up the hill too often.

Glad to here Chaos has figured things out. I hope he sends some X-swimmers out this year.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I am beginning to feel like we have a giant umbrella over us. *sigh* Rain ALL around us...but we got nothing.

So here are some progress pics.....the 'room' before

room-2.jpg

Today

room616.jpg

The jungle before (where the pond will go)

junglefront-1.jpg

Today

jungle616.jpg

Some flower / plant pics

Maters....I've trimmed the stupid things 2x already.....

Menmymaters.jpg

fence616.jpg

zinnias616.jpg

cannas616.jpg

Went today and got 2 sheets of green plastic lattice for the bottom of the 'walls' of my room, and some plastic and river pebble rocks for the floor.

Also bought a book about ponds....figure we might ought to know what we're doin' when we start.

:lol:

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Love the pics your maters are growing like mine are. The room is going to be so nice when it is done. Good luck on your pond

TTs Chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great progress on the room - that's a lot of work! Your maters look great, mine aren't growing as well this year. They are making some, just aren't as big as normal :idunno

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Mine are growing but don't have much 'fruit' on 'em. I think the dirt has too much nitrogen. I'm not gonna put any more miracle grow on the suckers.

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your clearning work is amazing. I might have to hire you as you seem to do a quicker job than these crazy rental goats I got.

You have a lovely garden and home and the room looks like it will be nice.

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi Rolls, anytime I've seen too much foliar growth, I just give them a splash of a bloom booster such as Super Bloom or something like that. I think you're right in backing off on the Miracle Gro for a while :). Your gardens look lovely. I wish I could do more container gardening but we just don't get enough rain and I am way too lazy to hand water daily :). It looks beautiful!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking about getting some bloom boost, we have it on clearance at TSC.

I'm so annoyed I could just spit. Had a nice little green blob headed RIGHT FOR US on the radar, so I ran down to get the feeding done, just sure it'd be pouring when I came back up.....nothing....look at the radar and *poof* it just disappeared.

Believe me, I am NOT enjoying having to hand water for 2-3 hrs a day. If I'da known we would get NO rain....I sure wouldn't have put this much stuff out.

:he

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It rained. For 2 glorious, shiny, wonderful hours....IT RAINED.

And.....My dd is here (got home yesterday).

Been busy between work and the new bed and watering and probably won't be on much w/ her here....but wanted to check in and say I hope all's well w/ everyone.

:)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Hasn't rained for a week. Slight chance for it today but.....I'm not holding my breath.

DD and I are having a great visit. She's helping me w/ chores and such....what a change from the sullen teen that left! :lol:

Stuck a few does in w/ Chaos to see if they'd get bred....and boy howdy he's been takin' care o' business.
Bullitt left to service some does for a friend, so we had to throw someone in w/ Freeney to keep him company and he bred Patch right away.
We should have 6 or 7 does kid in November. :D

I am trying NOT to breed anyone else until Bullitt gets back here. But when I see a doe flagging it's very hard not to go ahead and get her bred so I'll know a due date.

Dazzle has a very inflamed / red / ulcerated eye and we can't figure out why, aside from "she hurt it"....tried Terramycin eye ointment and Pen G shots (didn't help) so I spent 32$ on eye spray yesterday....hoping it helps. Can't be pinkeye b/c it's only in one eye and after 5 days she's still the only one. Also haven't been exposed to any other livestock, even via wind...no cows or goats close by.

My black jeep is going into the shop today.....hoping that won't break me.

Blue, one of the yearling Nubs I bought last July....has a hard ball in her udder. Spoke to the vet and we gave tetracycline shots for a week (in case it was some funky mastitis) but he suspected CAE....she's supposed to have been raised CAE prev....I opted not to test b/c I'll raise the kids CAE prev. anyway.
THEN....her sister, who I sold to a friend....got a hard udder.
Now we HAVE to know whats going on b/c my friend doesn't bottle raise....grrrrr.....So we tested both sisters, and another yearling I got from the same farm, and my friend's yearling, just to see what's what. If the sisters test CAE+ I guess I'll be going back on the breeder but....doubt I get any satisfaction.

The NZ doe who rejected her 1st litter and then didn't pull fur for litter no. 2 did end up feeding the surviving 5 kits from that litter. 2 little funny looking brown doe kits DH wants to keep to replace mom with.

Picked up 48 dark eggs a month ago, dh wanted more dark egg layers. 36 didn't develop. Of the 12, 9 hatched and 7 survived. 2 black copper marans, 2 golden salmon marans, and 3 black or blue wheaton marans will join the 7 welsummer pullets.

Finished my 'room' outside and waiting for it to cool off a bit before we start digging the fish pond.....

624room.jpg

Remember, the little porch and bench and such were 'free', we're only out the lattice and landscape timbers...and time and labor...