Rough day....Doodle update, page 7

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It IS a shame, Roll. She had a beautiful udder. I also think it's valuable to post pics, I'm just so sorry you had the opportunity. The one side looks like it is drying off though, that's promising. I really hope this all works out... :( :fl

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so sorry you are going through this. :hugs She has some nice genetics there so hopefully her babies will carry on that wonderful udder.

She seems to be doing better, good luck.

Is Hillary doing any better? :fl

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
POOR GIRL...thanks for posting the pics it is informative. Its always nice to be able to see what people are talking about. I personally have never seen an abcessed udder...so it helps for sure!! She did have a beautiful udder.

And she is a pretty doe for sure!!

Hope she dries soon for her sake and yours! That certainly is a darn

shame though!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
That's a shame. Have you thought about using chlorhex to kill her good half?

Zanzabeez

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Rolls,

Oh, I am so sorry. Wow, what an incredable shame. She really did have a beautiful udder. :(

I hope you are able to get her dried up on the good side soon. :fl Will you have to remove both halves of her udder or just the affected side?

Btw, I have not been here long but I can easily tell that you are a great goat owner and that your goaties are lucky to have you. :hugs

Tracy

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh deary...... :hugs Thanks for posting the pics though.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is sad, hopefully you can figure out a solution to be able to save her. With an udder like that, I'd be keeping a daughter from her. I've never heard of CL getting into an udder like that.

I have a one-sided doe. When I bought her, I was told "She only milks on one side and we don't know why, she's always been that way." I didn't know much about goats, so I just thought, ok, whatever. The people I bought her from speculated that maybe she didn't have an orifice in the non-working teat. This was a dairy farm milking 90 does every day and also showing their animals. How they would not know whether or not a doe has an orifice in one teat....? :rolleyes: I took her home, found that there was an orifice, and that a little tiny bit of milk would come out. The next year when she freshened again, both sides filled, but the day after kidding, the bad side was hard, lumpy, and inflamed, and the milk coming out was stringy and brown. So, I treated her for the mastitis, and dried the side off. It is now a big solid lump of scar, and doesn't fill, but if I squeeze the teat a little of the nasty brown liquid always comes out. It seems to be somewhat painful to the touch as well. I think what happened is that she had mastitis for a long time and was never treated for it. A shame, since she milks a full gallon from the good half...she could have been an amazing milker with both sides.

Here she is, dry. The big side is all rock hard.
SANY0408.jpg